Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Low income assistance?

Posted by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM
  • 4 Replies

This is off topic but does relate in a round about way.

Does a 38 year old female with no dependents qualify for government housing, medicaid and food stamps in the State of Illinois?  Her income is unknown because she works for cash only.

by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
TexasMami409
by on Apr. 3, 2014 at 6:35 PM
I'm not sure about Illinois specifically but I would guess that unless one can prove their income, they can't apply.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tyler_mom1996
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 5:16 PM
I am 40 and applied for Obama care and I met the qualifications for Medicaid.
Bonnie_
by on Apr. 4, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Because of the number of people  who  scam the system  they will need  verification  on   income.  She  will have to  start a receipt  book  on payments received.   

tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Apr. 4, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Some more info:  She is already living in low income housing and has been for the past 18 years.  She no longer has any dependents.  She has no physical disabilities.

What I am wondering is how does one continue to receive assistance when dependents are no longer a factor.  Are these tenants ever reviewed?

I am all for assistance for people who truly have a need and have children to support, but I am aware of someone who is fully capable of working and supporting herself as so many of us do and she receives all of the subsidies without need.  As Bonnie said, I am thinking she is scamming the system and I just can't figure out how she manages it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)