Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How many times will I have to hire a lawyer?

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

My husband wanted a divorce. He feel in love with another woman. I hired a lawyer and got everything put into the paperwork that we negotiated. Now he is not abiding by what we had put in the paperwork and threatening to try and get child support reduced and seek more visitation. So, now I have hired anothe attorney to cover myself. How many times am I going to have to hire an attorney before it is completely DONE? Has anyone else been through this nonsense? Does it ever really stop? How long did it take?

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Sep. 23, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Had you filed?  Had you already had a hearing?  Or had you just drawn up the paperwork and not yet filed?  Had child support already been determined (in court)?

The amount that he will pay in child support is going to be a standard rate unless you and he agreed to something different than the state's guideline.  Even if the two of you agreed on a different amount than that required by the state it doesn't mean that the judge would agree to it.  You can go to your state's website and use the calculator to determine how much he should be paying. 

Is this seeking of more visitation motivated by wanting a reduction of child support?

How many times will you require an attorney before it is done?  It's different for everyone.  My divorce and custody took about three years and if I averaged it out I would say we had a hearing about every couple of months during the custody phase (that took a year) and the financial portion about every three months.

It sucks.

singleproudmom4
by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:43 PM
The divorce was filed and finalized. Everything was in the paperwork including child support, visitation, and medical support. Now he wants it modified. He does think if he gets more visitation he will pay less child support.
KyliesMom5
by Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:46 PM
My ex took me to court to have support lowered and the judge lAughed him out of court. I know it's frustrating but hang in there. Things will work out.
Goobergal
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 8:29 AM

My ex took me to court two mos after the final hearing. Judge laughed and said we aren't doing month to month CS adjustments. Ex called CS unit before divorce was final but a year later. They said they enforce, he has to see judge to adjust. 

They like to play these games. If he takes you for less than legit reasons, ask for attorneys fees.  He wanted out.  My demands were so reasonable.  He would not take them in mediation.  The judge awarded me what I thought was reasonable and also the stuff I asked that was not middle ground because why not.  Surely the judge will go more in the middle.  Nope, he gave me sole decision making.  I lost house and car.  But that was in my best interest. 

Crystaa
by Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 8:33 AM
It may never end till they reach 18. Mine went on for about 4 years and i have a feeling something is coming my way again.
tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Sep. 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Since everything was finalized ex has filed for modifications of cs twice, but withdrew them.  He threatens me regularlly about seeking more visitation time and lowering cs.  It is upsetting to always have a hammer being held over my head, but until I actually get served to appear I try not to worry.

Ex did file for a reduction of cs before everything was finalized because he was fired from his job.  The judge threw it out.

gr8d8n3mom
by Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 11:33 AM

You might want to mention to your ex. Most states you can only file for modification of C.S. if there is a significant material change (like a job loss) Or keep that to yourself LOL and nope more parenting time won't reduce his C.S. if your state goes by the C.S. work sheet where you put ur incomes in. LOL Plus he will piss off the judge by coming back into court so soon

Quoting singleproudmom4: The divorce was filed and finalized. Everything was in the paperwork including child support, visitation, and medical support. Now he wants it modified. He does think if he gets more visitation he will pay less child support.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)