• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tax issue

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM
  • 3 Replies

My son can't catch a break. He filed his 2013 taxes, his father said he could claim the boys on his taxes since he was paying CS and she wasn't working and only receiving FS and medical. He got a letter stating that another party claimed the boys too. It was her parents, yes they live in there home in a finished basement that has two bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen and bathroom. His ex on her financial affidavit claims she pays 700 for rent, not RB, she also stated she pays for utilities and food. So the parents aren't supporting the boys at all. Its all BS on his ex's side. He keeps calling the number to ask what he has to do but its all computerized. So frustrating. The court order states that as of 2014 on his ex and NO ONE else can claim them, which I thought was weird. I told him to just ask the court if they can each claim one, it couldn't hurt to ask.

by on Nov. 4, 2014 at 8:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:01 AM

There's another thing to add to his modification.  He should be allowed to claim the boys every other year. Or as you suggested, each claim one child every year. 

I can't imagine the boys ever being able to be claimed by the grandparents.  Hell, my mom buys more stuff for DS than even I do and up until the time ds started first grade had him for more meals than I did and she has spent one heckuva a  lot more than ex ever spent on him in his almost seven years of life.  She never even dreamed of claiming DS!

I am pretty sure that when two parties claim the children that the IRS will investigate and make a determination as to who had the right to claim them.  The party that should NOT have claimed them will be required to return the money paid out by the IRS. 

tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Nov. 4, 2014 at 10:10 AM

I just posted "The Basics" post and I think your son will find it very helpful.

karenax
by Member on Nov. 5, 2014 at 6:54 AM

Thanks so much.

Quoting tottaxi:

I just posted "The Basics" post and I think your son will find it very helpful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)