Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

no-fault divorce with kids

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:08 AM
  • 4 Replies
Any one ended their marriage civilly with no issues? How long did it take to finalize? No attorney needed or any interventions.
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
Hiker11
by on Feb. 4, 2015 at 8:29 AM
It depends on your state. We filed January 21st and our court date is February 24th. My state has a mandatory 30 day waiting period. Some states you have to be separated for a year before you can file.
musicpisces
by Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM

I am in CA, which is a no-fault state.  We are just starting with the paperwork part, but we had to hash out child support, paying bills, custody, things like that on our own.  I am having the world's most civil divorce, for which I am SOOOO grateful.  My STBX has been wonderful in this, and we are both keeping our son's best interest at heart (and we've usually agreed on all things parenting).  I have been the sole provider for most of our marriage, and I just accepted a new job, where my income will literally be 10x what he makes right now.  I was terrified he would gouge me, but we have figured out a good arrangement for us, and we've agreed to revisit income annually at tax time (because he works for himself, so his income is very variable).

Assuming we keep going as we are, there's no need for an attorney or anything like that.

Ours isn't a typical separation, from what I've seen from others, but if you can BOTH be adults about this (and of course, you have no control over how he/she behaves), things can go smoothly.  Our son has adjusted beautifully because of this.

Good luck!

Fayanne
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 4:52 PM

I was told maybe 6 weeks if there were no issues.

there were LOTS of issues

CampClan
by Bronze Member on Feb. 11, 2015 at 9:53 PM
I did mine through legal aid as no fault with kids. I felt I had to go through legal aid in order to get what I wanted. I needed to make sure things were done the right way. The lawyer drew up the papers, we went over them together, he agreed to what I wanted, & we filed. Filing happened in Feb 2012 & we had a court date of 8 weeks later.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)