Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Article on single mothers...interesting

Posted by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:40 AM
  • 4 Replies
Saw this on The Huffington Post

Don’t Tell Me I’m Not a “Real” Single Mom

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/youre-not-a-real-single-m_1_b_9489020.html?
by on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Mar. 22, 2016 at 10:50 AM
1 mom liked this

IMO, many women who are married are single moms.  So many men don't participate actively in the day to day raising of their children and are of the opinion that tha is just "woman's work".  I think that is what kills me about so many of these men once we divorce.  Suddenly they become aware that they have children.  Suddenly they want time with those kids (not that they use that time to truly care for them).  They have been able to do their own thing and their kids are kind of a foot note in their life.  A real parent isn't a parent who is involved when it is convenient or suits their need.  

prettyleodia
by Member on Mar. 27, 2016 at 6:43 PM
We would have been married 11 years soon. And during that time I was basically a single parent. Even when he was in the next room. If it wasn't about him he took no interest.

Quoting tottaxi:

IMO, many women who are married are single moms.  So many men don't participate actively in the day to day raising of their children and are of the opinion that tha is just "woman's work".  I think that is what kills me about so many of these men once we divorce.  Suddenly they become aware that they have children.  Suddenly they want time with those kids (not that they use that time to truly care for them).  They have been able to do their own thing and their kids are kind of a foot note in their life.  A real parent isn't a parent who is involved when it is convenient or suits their need.  

prettyleodia
by Member on Mar. 27, 2016 at 6:44 PM
1 mom liked this
If you can, please share this. If you haven't before.

There is a sort of program called CoAbode.
coabode.org

This provides a place for support, resources, and home sharing/roommates for single mothers! It's free and full of great information!
I ended up finding a place for myself and dd so didn't need a roommate/s. I've talked with a few women just a bit, but not having a lot of luck response wise. Then again this area isn't huge.

Last one. This site is full of great stuff too, for any gender of single parents.

Single Parent's Alliance of America
spaoa.org

CorpCityGrl
by Member on Mar. 28, 2016 at 8:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Agreed!

I have pretty much been a single mom from the very beginning. Soon to be ex-DH worked a lot and was gone for extended periods of time. When he was around, he really did not help. I took care of everything but when DD was being playful, then he was all over it. When DH finally moved out, we didn't miss a step and he suddenly was gung-ho about spending time with her and criticizing me about rules I had put into place for DD long before we broke up. 

Being a parent is not convenient, but you do it 24/7 because that's what you do to take care of your child. 

Quoting tottaxi:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)