Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need opinions.

Posted by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:21 PM
  • 1 Replies

I live in Cali, and my lovely state decided to be stupid and legalize pot. (I don't care who smokes it, but I don't want it around my kids). Some details:

Before pot became legal my ex went to jail numerous times for drugs (both pot and meth) and alcohol. The last time I went to court he was still in jail. I was granted full everything. He is allowed 4 hours visitation the first Saturday of the month from noon-4pm. On top of that, he is not allowed to be under the influence of any drugs or alcohol while the children are in his care, and he is not allowed to have the kids around anyone who is under the influence or is a known drug addict. With 4 hours notice I can have him drug tested at any time and if he fails one he looses his 4 hours a month until he files to go back to court and take it before a judge. That was over a year ago. He has been clean and staying away from his old "pals" so I let him see the kids almost whenever he wants. The last time I went to pick up the kids from his house, it reeked of pot! Not like he had been doing it while the kids were there, but it had that old pot smell like he did it a few days ago and never aired out the house.

My question: With that being legal now, does that trump the order or does the order trump the law?

by on Nov. 28, 2016 at 1:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Nov. 28, 2016 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Just because it is legal it is not okay for him to use it in front of him.  Alcohol is legal and yet it can be stipulated that there is no drinking around the children and certainly it would never be okay for someone to drive or even be around kids if they were heavily under the influence.

Your court order stands until he makes the effort to have it modified.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)