Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support discount???

Posted by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:11 PM
  • 5 Replies
I needed answers from my attorney. As I posted earlier, the ex, who has been found in contempt of the divorce decree multiple times, has now filed with the court for a CS discount, and a host of other things. To summarize, the ex has found another loophole to avoid his monetary obligations. In the meantime I have more attorneys fees, and was told I have to pay my part for the ex’s mediation and deposition. The criminal contempt hearing is approaching, and I don’t understand this new turn of events. Questions: How can a person in contempt for NOT paying, request a discount on the arrears? Has anyone else heard of something like this? Is there any place besides family court that can assist me? Where is the endpoint? I thought the appeal was the end of this, but this seems like another expensive means of relitigation
by on Oct. 18, 2017 at 5:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Oct. 18, 2017 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Is that like a coupon that can be redeemed?  WTF.  I've never heard of such a thing and especially not a retroactive decrease.  He has the money for more litigation, but not CS?  Ridiculous.

What did your attorney have to say?  Was he/she disturbed by this or just have an "oh well" attitude?  Why isn't your attorney delaying this until after your hearing next month?  I wouldn't be too johnny on the spot complying.  Shit.  Let your ex file some sort of contempt charge against you for not playing along with his money draining scheme.

Have you been able to have his tax returns attached?

This is one of those situations where it would be nice to be able to say "Give up your rights and I'll make some of this go away."

Smilesunshine66
by Bronze Member on Oct. 19, 2017 at 3:46 PM

That response was priceless! LMAO  I completely agree with you, how does this jerk have all this money, as you pointed out, for everything else except CS ? Ridiculous. Im not complying immediately as I have in the past, and the paralegal seems nervous — as I’m receiving reminder emails every week.  Amazing how harassment and contempt we experienced from the ex barely causes a reaction, but when the ex makes demands everyone panics. I was told the ex has the right to file petitions and motions, and I have to comply. Give me a break.  

Quite frankly, I don’t want to hear from these attorneys until the criminal contempt hearing.  I agree, I should let dumbass drain his wallet on this frivolous CS discount nonsense. 

No person who files for divorce, and has the divorce granted, should constantly be bombarded by legal emails/appearances, years on end. These Cluster B exes expend so much time and energy on vengeance & perceived punishments. It’s disgusting.

Quoting tottaxi:

Is that like a coupon that can be redeemed?  WTF.  I've never heard of such a thing and especially not a retroactive decrease.  He has the money for more litigation, but not CS?  Ridiculous.

What did your attorney have to say?  Was he/she disturbed by this or just have an "oh well" attitude?  Why isn't your attorney delaying this until after your hearing next month?  I wouldn't be too johnny on the spot complying.  Shit.  Let your ex file some sort of contempt charge against you for not playing along with his money draining scheme.

Have you been able to have his tax returns attached?

This is one of those situations where it would be nice to be able to say "Give up your rights and I'll make some of this go away."

Oliviasmom72
by Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 11:10 AM

Well at this point you have to cut your losses. Stop paying an attorney I dont see how it makes sense.

What state ae you in? Every state is different. At this point you may want to reach out to your social ntworking circle to see if anyone can guide you through this. I dont see the point in forking out more money for legal fees and you may not get him to pay anyways.

Smilesunshine66
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 1:19 PM

Hopefully that won’t be the case, as a new judge has been appointed. It always makes sense for me to fight for my children’s rights...I think family law needs to be exposed, I just need to figure out a way to do it.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Well at this point you have to cut your losses. Stop paying an attorney I dont see how it makes sense.

What state ae you in? Every state is different. At this point you may want to reach out to your social ntworking circle to see if anyone can guide you through this. I dont see the point in forking out more money for legal fees and you may not get him to pay anyways.

Oliviasmom72
by Member on Oct. 20, 2017 at 1:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I would ask to be awarded legal fees.

Quoting Smilesunshine66:

Hopefully that won’t be the case, as a new judge has been appointed. It always makes sense for me to fight for my children’s rights...I think family law needs to be exposed, I just need to figure out a way to do it.

Quoting Oliviasmom72:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)