Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing my last name

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:54 PM
  • 17 Replies
It's been a year since my divorce. I have had my married name for 11 years. Professionally and personally, people know me by my married name. I do miss my maiden name. It means a lot to me. I ended up putting it in my middle name because I didn't want to lose it.

When we divorced, i had the option to keep it or go back to my maiden name. I stayed because i didnt want to be different than the girls.

More and more, it's been a thought that I will change my name when the girls get older and I mentioned that. My oldest says she wants to change her name too. She is actually from a prior relationship but, by chance, he had the same last name as my now ex-husband so when we married, we all had the same name. Weird...i know.

Anyway, she doesn't feel a connection to her bio dad but does have a relationship with my ex but my side of the family has very very strong presence in her life so I can see why.

What's the process like if I want to change it now? What about her? She is 14.
by on Mar. 16, 2018 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Fayanne
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2018 at 8:06 AM

I have no idea. I've been divorced almost 6 years and still use my married name.

tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Mar. 17, 2018 at 9:28 AM

The process varies by state.  

https://www.wikihow.com/Change-Name-After-Divorce

For your daughter, she may need her dad's consent to do this before she is of legal age.  Speaking of her father, what has become of that situation since the whole thing at Christmas?

M4LG5
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2018 at 9:43 AM
Nothing. He donated for a super bowl pool for a fundraiser but that's it. No calls.

Quoting tottaxi:

For your daughter, she may need her dad's consent to do this before she is of legal age.  Speaking of her father, what has become of that situation since the whole thing at Christmas?

tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Mar. 17, 2018 at 9:49 AM

What a jerk.  With all that hub bub and he once again goes MIA.  How does all of that make you feel about his family and especially his mother who created that mess?

Quoting M4LG5: Nothing. He donated for a super bowl pool for a fundraiser but that's it. No calls.
Quoting tottaxi:

Goobergal
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2018 at 10:09 AM

congrats!  Loved going back to my maiden name.  Very empowering to me

M4LG5
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2018 at 11:02 AM
It's the way they are....make a big deal but no follow through.

Quoting tottaxi:

What a jerk.  With all that hub bub and he once again goes MIA.  How does all of that make you feel about his family and especially his mother who created that mess?

Quoting M4LG5: Nothing. He donated for a super bowl pool for a fundraiser but that's it. No calls.

Quoting tottaxi:

tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Mar. 17, 2018 at 1:16 PM

If it is written in your court order then you can just take that as proof when you go to the drivers license facility or social security office.  I don't thing there are any time limitations on when it has to be done.

I did some googling and if your daughter is sixteen then she may be able to request a name change without his consent and if you have legal custody then it is even less likely he would need to sign off on it.

M4LG5
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2018 at 1:43 PM
She is 14 but i have full legal and physical custody.

I am still thinking about it though.

Quoting tottaxi:

If it is written in your court order then you can just take that as proof when you go to the drivers license facility or social security office.  I don't thing there are any time limitations on when it has to be done.

I did some googling and if your daughter is sixteen then she may be able to request a name change without his consent and if you have legal custody then it is even less likely he would need to sign off on it.

tottaxi
by Battle Weary on Mar. 17, 2018 at 2:16 PM

I  found this:

http://www.namecandy.com/name-lady/2011/06/27/can-i-adopt-an-alias

This is what I have always thought was the case (in my business there are always people who have aka's).  She can call herself by your name as long as there is no attempt to defraud.  

Boileremily
by Member on Mar. 19, 2018 at 2:43 PM

How are you doing and I have to say that I have been thinking about doing the same thing myself but not sure how to go about it?

Hope we can chat about this?

Emily

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)