Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How Do You Do the So-So Holidays?

Posted by   + Show Post

For Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, that's usually worked out in a Custody agreement, but what about holidays like Memorial Day coming up?

I come from a family that loves to bbq so all the summer excuses to have one are like family bonding times. It's a big deal to me that my SS be there for a good amount considering his BM family is just different and doesn't celebrate the same way. My SO doesn't feel the same way since HIS family didn't make such a big deal about these types of weekends either.

So my question is, do you just do something if the child/ren are there?

by on May. 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM
Replies (21-26):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:25 AM
That's ok! I answered anyway! Lol

Quoting LovePhotoBug5: Oops. Totally didn't mean to. Thought I hit the next page, but it must have went to the last page. Didn't even see the dates. Thought it made sense... Memorial Day is coming up! But I guess not. Sorry!!!

Quoting momof2ex1: Why did you bump a post from 2011?

Quoting LovePhotoBug5:

Memorial Day is in CO - switches every year. Somehow Labor Day got left out, which is fine for us since it works out to our weekend every year. Other holidays - depends on weekend, like President's Day is a Monday off from school, if we have SD that weekend, we get to have her all day on that Monday.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
afwife817
by Silver Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:33 AM
We're going to Zion again this year for Memorial weekend. BM tried to say no, but she was notified months in advanced and never stated she had plans of her own. My husband is finally standing up to her and not taking no for an answer.
AnnieChristian_
by on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:40 AM
If it was up to BM, she would never have SKs for any holidays, big or small. She wouldn't have them any weekends either if we lived close enough. I don't get it but whatever.

To answer your question, we do something regardless if they are here or not - I'm very big on all holidays but I can't lie and say when SKs aren't here for certain ones that fall outside of school breaks & summer vacation that I long for their presence at the family BBQ so badly that I don't feel like celebrating. I love holidays with all four kids here but I still thoroughly enjoy the ones that we only have our boys.
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 1:49 AM

maybe she isnt "big on bbqs" because she realizes memorial day isn't a holiday to celebrate with bbq maybe she uses the day to respect the fallen soldier who died defending our country not for bbq's and getting  drunk...just saying.

also I'm pretty sure those family members and those of us who are respecting those who died would not consider it a "so-so holiday"

***Briterican***

Leigh84
by Gold Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 8:01 AM
Holidays like Memorial Day, Easter, 4th of July, New Years, and Labor Day fall under whose parenting time it is. It's not spelled out in the co that's just how DH and BM have been doing it.
hershey6
by Bronze Member on Apr. 29, 2014 at 9:14 AM
Most of them we just do whoever's parenting time it falls on. The one exception is 4th of July because BM almost always goes to visit her parents for a week or two at that time- so we don't ever have that one.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN