Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How Do You Do the So-So Holidays?

Posted by on May. 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM
  • 6 Replies

For Holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas, that's usually worked out in a Custody agreement, but what about holidays like Memorial Day coming up?

I come from a family that loves to bbq so all the summer excuses to have one are like family bonding times. It's a big deal to me that my SS be there for a good amount considering his BM family is just different and doesn't celebrate the same way. My SO doesn't feel the same way since HIS family didn't make such a big deal about these types of weekends either.

So my question is, do you just do something if the child/ren are there?

by on May. 27, 2011 at 12:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
mallowcup17
by on May. 27, 2011 at 12:14 PM

we would usually take my SD for this weekend because today is DH's birthday but he has to work at his second job all weekend so we won't be getting her until Sunday night then going to my parents for a birthday/bbq for DH and my soon to be SIL. we try to alternate even the so-so holidays, bm and dh are actually decent about these kinds of things, the few things they actually can agree on. he also has a week off coming up in June so she'll be with us more than the usual weekend during that time, it all balances out.

KamiB79
by on May. 27, 2011 at 2:13 PM
Memorial and labor day weekends are in the Co. I'm irritated though because the girls birthday was not included in the Co, so we Have never had them on their birthday! :( BM refused to acknowledge it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
not-the-momma
by Joyce on May. 27, 2011 at 2:58 PM

BM never takes the kids on Memorial Day or Labor Day or 4th of July.  She's too busy going to parties.  The visitation agreement (written by her lawyer) states this as well as she gets the kids on Mother's Day and Easter.  As for birthdays, it depends on who gets them that weekend (it varies every year)

pseudomamma
by Bronze Member on May. 27, 2011 at 4:26 PM

We follow our states parenting guidelines.  It outlines the holiday and special days schedule.

4kidsmomma4life
by on May. 27, 2011 at 6:01 PM

We would do something either way.  We usually do our own thing for summer holidays.  Our families just use it as another day to sit and do nothing.  We always grill in our backyard and do fun things with the kids.  We usually do had SD for any summer holiday since her mother works all of those days.

Chris0110
by on May. 27, 2011 at 6:13 PM

We have these written into the custody order as well.  Makes it simpler.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured