Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What has being a Step Mom taught you?

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM
  • 23 Replies

It can be something about yourself, something about society in general, or even something about the little one(s) in your life!  Just share something that you have learned through your journey.  Maybe we can give eachother a little insight.  :)  GO!!!

by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
EmilySerene
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:52 PM

I have learned that once you bond with a kiddo, it doesn't matter if you gave birth to them.  Mama bear WILL show up when that child needs you. 

KimberlyMKasten
by Member on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:53 PM

that just because you are raising the child doesn't mean anyone will care. People still think of us as just the step mom and not the real mom even if we are doing more than the real mom ever did/does.

EmilySerene
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:54 PM

Also, no matter how hard you try, you can't make a bm be a real mom, if she doesn't want to be.

EmilySerene
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:56 PM

Quoting KimberlyMKasten:

that just because you are raising the child doesn't mean anyone will care. People still think of us as just the step mom and not the real mom even if we are doing more than the real mom ever did/does.

That's rough.  I'm so sorry.  :(  Just remember, the kiddos see.  As children grow up, they usually grow to appreciate who was really there for them.  Keep your head up, Mama.  Good Luck, and God Bless.

Happymom2003
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 9:58 PM
Totally agree!!!!

Quoting EmilySerene:

I have learned that once you bond with a kiddo, it doesn't matter if you gave birth to them.  Mama bear WILL show up when that child needs you. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessiesluv
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 10:03 PM

Patience

KimberlyMKasten
by Member on Jun. 7, 2011 at 10:43 PM

Quoting EmilySerene:

Quoting KimberlyMKasten:

That's rough.  I'm so sorry.  :(  Just remember, the kiddos see.  As children grow up, they usually grow to appreciate who was really there for them.  Keep your head up, Mama.  Good Luck, and God Bless.

That's the only part that keeps me going sometimes. My SD is only 7 and she already sees who cares about her more. Ive been taking care of her for the last 3 years. I was mommy to her less than a month after i met her. I just wish her mother would get her head out of her butt and see what she is doing to her daughter

EmilySerene
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 10:55 PM

Quoting KimberlyMKasten:

Quoting EmilySerene:

Quoting KimberlyMKasten:

That's the only part that keeps me going sometimes. My SD is only 7 and she already sees who cares about her more. Ive been taking care of her for the last 3 years. I was mommy to her less than a month after i met her. I just wish her mother would get her head out of her butt and see what she is doing to her daughter

Your situation sounds oh too familiar.  My DSS just turned 8, and we just recently gave up on BM ever being a healthy part of his life.  She actually took DH back to court right before Christmas to enforce parenting itm (which we had never denied in the first place, she had just never bothered to show up).  We countered with supervised visitation due to her history.  We ended up getting sole everything with no visitation as of March.  I finally had to accept that she was never going to be what he needed her to be (DH already knew that.  I just kept wanting her to want to be a part of this amazing little boy's life).  I am Mom in our situation, too.  So, it's nice to meet you!  :)  Sounds like your DSD is lucky to have you.  

ShannaBee
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:08 PM

I learned that the love I have for my husband has caused me to endure a lot just because of him.

momof6nokc
by on Jun. 7, 2011 at 11:10 PM

That some people hate their ex's more than they love their children.  I NEVER knew that until I had to deal with my DH's ex.  I really wish I had never had to learn that lesson :o(

"One problem with people who have no vices is that they're pretty sure to have some annoying virtues"  ~Elizabeth Taylor~
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured