• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Child support ... how to handle?

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM
  • 13 Replies

I have started thinking if my DH was hurt or disabled , it would not take long for child support to add up to a significant amount. Has anyone ever had to go back to court for a child support modification for this reason? How long did it take? If it took three months that would be over $5,000. He has disability at work ,but it only covers 1/2 his pay , so not enough to even pay the support. I read on someone's post that for deductions it is not retroactive and we would have to pay a lawyer on top of that. I like to prepared for emergencies.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:48 AM

You are trying to plan for how to handle CS if he is hurt?

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:49 AM
When BM had support reduced due to going on disability, it was retroactive to the date of filing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:22 PM
I've wondered that too. DH got hurt at work and put on light duty but had the possibility of having to have surgery. I worry about things like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
agh81
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:27 PM

That's an excellent question that I hadn't thought about yet!!!! YIKES

BrandiGra
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:54 PM

As soon as your DH is injured and md deems him unable to work he would call CS office to request a reduction. He should mail a request in via cert mail and include md orders.

He should follow up weekly with a call to the office until it is finalized, I have heard of way too many guy's paperwork being 'lost' and the refiled dated is where the judge retro's it back to so my advice would be file asap and follow up consistantly.

Get receipts and names.

BrandiGra
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:55 PM

oh, and we carry short term disability and aflac on our income to make sure if either DH or I get hurt our income is insured.

12mommy3
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:12 AM

DH was overpaying on child support for a year and a half because DHS messed up when calculating what he made. Anyway, it was a long hard struggle because during that time, he was also having to claim bankruptcy for past financial issues.

We're finally coming out in the green for a change - been together for 3 yrs. Always keep something put back for an emergency - anything's possible.

pseudomamma
by Silver Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 8:40 AM

In my state you can just go through Child Support Division in the prosecutors office to get a modification.  Takes a load off the court.  However, if OP wants to fight, then you may still end up in court.

katcb1019
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2011 at 9:56 AM

My odds bf had this happen. He only owes me until the date he filed which was about a month and half after the incident.

mikiemom
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 10:33 AM

Does he have a retirement account that he can fall back on, If not he shoudl probably start a cs savings plan, if there is not sufficient disability to cover emergencies. As far as a reduction, I would believe that would depend on whether the disability was permanent or not.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)