Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Blended family birthday parties for grandkids

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM
  • 4 Replies
We are a large blended family. We recently just started having grandkids. We are thinking about having a tradition of celebrating birthdays each month with our family. (adults and kids). We would do this rather than attending the birthday with all the blends and the other families. (exs and their extend families) we already have bait of this tradition with our kids just not grandkids. We do get along with exs and their families but it is si uncomfortable for everyone, plus we would like to set this tradition before we get 20 grandkids and we have to hang out with our exs 2times per month.

please give us your thoughts and how to approach our kids.
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
mikiemom
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:58 PM

All of the grandparents are invited to the kids birthday party they can either choose to go or not.  I don't think a seperate birthday party is needed. Usually it's only the younger parties that are joint when the kids get older they aren't going to want their grandparents at the party kwim. It will be more for the kids and their friends.

4kidsmomma4life
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:24 PM

I agree with MM this time.  My parents had me doing two parties with my kids for a long time because my dad's wife didn't want to come to my house with my inlaws and my mom.  My opinion was that he could leave her at home if she didn't want to come.  I did the separate parties a couple of times but it got to be too much so now I just invite them and whoever shows up gets to be there.  My dad's now ex- wife left so now it isn't an issue anymore.

I think birthdays are special though.  I think each child should get his/her special day and not have to share a cake and attention with 4 other relatives born in the same month.  It isn't really their special day anymore if a bunch of people are all sharing....IMO. 

ShannaBee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 11:10 PM
I agree with previous posters.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Peggy586
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 11:39 AM
I was also thinking that this could be a great family tradition that would bring all of our kids and their families together. I do know of another family that does this and they love it. They still have other parties with other parts of their family. (this family is not blended though)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)