Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Adult Stepchildren

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM
  • 46 Replies

I have just joined this group because for the first time since my stepson came into my life we are having problems.  He is 24 years old and has became very disrespectful and my husband and I are having problems because of this.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 4:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cruelella2to
by Bronze Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 5:19 PM

does he live in your house?

Faeta
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:07 PM

what kinds of problems??

I can relate on them not acting like adults... I'm 29. SK's are 17- 20. :(  hubby never believed in punishment or saying "no".

sweettxt1
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:16 PM

My 23 yr old SD goes through her stages of this and it takes dad putting her back in her place to fix anything. If they can't be respectful in your home ask them to leave because once they get to that age you are no longer responsible for them and you do not have to put up with being despected in your own home by anyone.

ShannaBee
by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 10:59 PM
What kind of problems?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DPrice67
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:08 PM

I agree that I shouldnt have to put up with anyone being disrespectful in my own house, but my husband will not put his foot down and do anything and that has cause hurt feelings on my part against him.  My husband went so far as to say that it was his house too and I had no right to ban his son.

mikiemom
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:12 PM

Your dh is actually right. Why would you want to do that. How is the child disrespectful to you.

My son's sm thinks he's disrespectful because he won't call her mom and won't honor her on mother's day. Oh he was also disrespectful because he refused to eat her whole grain pasta (he's allergic).

Quoting DPrice67:

I agree that I shouldnt have to put up with anyone being disrespectful in my own house, but my husband will not put his foot down and do anything and that has cause hurt feelings on my part against him.  My husband went so far as to say that it was his house too and I had no right to ban his son.

TheStepMonster
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:18 PM

Maybe it would help if you could give us some examples of how he's being disrespectful.

General disrespect (rude, lazy, etc) then I would agree with DH.

There are some areas where I would disagree with your DH, and those usually have to do with illegal activities.

Quoting DPrice67:

DPrice67
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:20 PM

He comes and goes between our house and his girlfriend/babymama, which is what started most of the problems.

mikiemom
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:29 PM

Umm he is an adult who lives in your home. Your dh sees his home as his kids home. I think calling the mother of his child his babymama is very disrespectful to him. Respect goes both ways. Of course he spends time with the mother of his child. this doesn't make sense to me at all.

Quoting DPrice67:

He comes and goes between our house and his girlfriend/babymama, which is what started most of the problems.

DPrice67
by on Aug. 18, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I have never expected my SS to call me Mom, when he was a child I did expect him to obey the rules of the household, just as I expect my own child.  I have a daughter that sees the things he does and says and she doesnt understand why she is expected to live by a different code that him.  Example he wanted me to allow his girlfriend to sleep over and let them sleep together and I dont agree that that is acceptable.  He got very angry with me about that and demanded his father allow it.  His girlfriend has made demades of me as well and I will not have orders barked at me.  I told my SS that felt she should apologize to me and he told me I should get over myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)