Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Changing child support

Posted by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM
  • 6 Replies

Do any of you know how it works or how to request a new evaluation? We live in MN.

Be the change you wish to see in the world.

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 6:49 PM

DH never had a set amount of CS, he just agreed with BM to give her 5 grand a month.

Finally he decided to get a set amount of CS and filed a motion for child support with the court.

I would suggest getting a lawyer if you can afford it. Has there been a big change in income? If not, I think they may not revisit CS unless many years have passed or there has been a change in circumstance.

by Ruby Member on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:47 PM

It is a really easy process in Oregon if you historically simply adhered to guideline support.  You go online, you get a form, you submit with documentation and you wait.  BF and I have done this.  No lawyers necessary unless you are arguing something different than guideline.

However, DH had a modified legal agreement paying BM optional spousal support in addition to CS and he clearly had a crappy lawyer at the time who did nothing to protect him in case things changed financially.  Took lots of time and money to change the agreement. 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 7:58 PM

In California, you have to file a notice of motion or order to show cause for a change in child support.  You also have to complete an income and expense document and show proof of income.  Then the judge will calculate guideline and any add-ons (insurance, child care, etc.) There is a requirement in CA that there must have been a substantial change to request a new order.  However, that can be met by a raise, change in job, change in visitation, etc. 

by on Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Depends on the state but most they may reevaluate your case every 3 yrs unless there is a big change in things or if the parent paying the CS is behind by a large amount or unable to pay do to changes in employement or living situation.

by on Aug. 23, 2011 at 10:09 AM

Sorry I did not get back on thanks for the help. MM I have been to this sight. I am a bookkeeper for a living and run payroll for 5 companies and use the mn electronic system to file. The form asks for both parents income and i dont have BM's info.

The only reason I was looking is DH and BM have 50/50 for everything and the child support is for state health ins. BM pays 12.00 month for her and both girls. DH pays 151.00 for him and both girls. The state updates DH every year with his tax return but the girls are only updated on BMs end since they are both listed under her.

SD16 was just accepted to an ARTS school and will have to live in a dorm. Its a public school but she will still need to pay for the dorm and meals. The school finance administrator called and told me SD16 will qualify for free meals only if DH applies because BM makes too much. She said our combined income is less than 1/2 of BM.SD16 also qualified for reduced dorm fees. They would have been free but BM makes too much. So the school fees are going to cost about 200.00 a month. If we can reduce CS/Medical then it will help. I am just afraid we will get an increase instead.

Once again thanks for all your help

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)