• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you buy your step children xmas presents? Who gets the skids on thanksgiving and xmas?

Posted by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM
  • 39 Replies

Is blending a step family hard for you during the holidays?????

by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Spades
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:50 PM

DH is custodial, and the they alternate holidays yearly per decree.

Spades
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:51 PM

And yes, SS always gets xmas and birthday presents from both sides of his family.

QueenBof6
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:52 PM
Yes. All of our kids get gifts. BM and SO work out the details come holiday time. It seems that they each get an equal fair amount of time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mRShENRY0527
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:53 PM
We swap holidays, but we still all get to see her. I always buy gifts for her. She is my only child (for now) lol plus her mom can't afford to get her things (she has never gotten her a gift for her birthday)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newwife1
by Silver Member on Sep. 14, 2011 at 2:57 PM

I personally don't buy SS Christmas gifts anymore. The first year I bought him 25 presents, mostly things he picked out of the Toys R Us catalog. On Christmas day he opened each one, threw it aside and said he hated each thing. I was in tears. Then he went home and told his mom that there were gift tags on his presents and she called DH screaming that I was a fucking idiot for putting gift tags on an only child's gifts and that I ruined Christmas.

That was the end of me ever doing anything nice for the kid at Christmas. If my DH doesn't go out and get him something, it's not my problem.

Angelknot8
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:08 PM

We buy everything for all of the kids together. I'm not sure hows its going to work after the hearing next week but dh was to have ss for part of the day each Holiday but bm always with held.

Owner of the cafemom group
Parenting a child with Behavioral disorders by adoption or step parenting  http://www.cafemom.com/group/115157

packermomof2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I'm not a fan of buying gifts for my kids birthdays.  I throw a party and their friends come... and I'm throwing a party for two kids at one time (their birthdays are only 2 weeks apart).  So we do the party right in the middle and plan for somewhere big enough to accommodate 2 kids plus friends. 

Ex forgot girl childs birthday this year (no gift, fine with us, just remember the birthday)... remembered boy childs birthday... who saw how sad that made his sister and told his father to talk to her... (he called the kid and the kid told his father he needed to talk to his sister.  He didn't ask, he didn't say about what and just handed her the phone... )

Ms.Gwen
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:47 PM
DF tried to take the kids to see BMs family(BM was deployed) even though they make him sit in the driveway and wait every year. But this year they wouldn't even answer the phone? This was days after BM had sent an email demanding DF relinquish custody to her mother. Her mother is the only person I've met that is crazier than BM! He sent her an email in return telling her that was never going to happen, but he would still bring them over for Christmas. I don't know what's going to happen this year? We expect to be in court again before Christmas?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
packermomof2
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Oh... and Christmas gifts.  We get them pjs and a couple of other things.  I have the most boring kids with this also... we'll tell them we bought the gifts already and they are somewhere in the house.  They don't even go looking for them.  No shaking of gifts is done either.  We practically tell them where they are and we get "okay"...

Their father had them pick out their own gifts last year.  They haven't stayed overnight at his house in over a year but he still did that...

Chelliza1028
by on Sep. 14, 2011 at 4:21 PM
Yes of course we get SD gifts for Christmas. Bm withheld Christmas last year so this year dh gets Christmas eve and Christmas day to make up for getting neither last year.. then come to find out bm sent SD out of state with her mom and bm didn't even go. So take Christmas from dad and go e it to grandma wth
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)