Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Shaving or buffing a 6 year olds legs???

Posted by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM
  • 16 Replies

So the whole reason I joined CM in the beginning is because I took over caring for my ex-fiance's nieces and nephews. Well they have gone back to living with the BP now, but I am very close with one of the mothers. We will call that mother Alyssa and her children Lisa and Eugene.

Well Alyssa and I were talking on the phone today and she is concerned about Lisa's legs being so hariy and whether or not she should try that little buffing thing or a razor on them. I said definitely not yet because Lisa is only 6 years old!

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just dont think you should really worry about those types of things until closer to middle school. Maybe 10 at the very earliest.

She says she wouldnt be so concerned if LIsa wasnt complaining about it, but I just dont think its really the best idea.

Am i crazy or is 6 WAY too young to even think about that stuff (the mother i mean)? What are your thoughts?

by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
packermomof2
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 8:52 PM

Don't know... my daughter started at 8 1/2ish... she has dark hair so I taught her how...

ShannaBee
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 8:55 PM
I started early too. My hair is so brown it's almost black and thick. My leg hair honestly and truly affected my sleep-rubbed/itched/pulled so bad I couldn't get comfortable. I have to shave daily. Suggest BM to consult her child's doctor about safe hair removal since it is the child who is complaining. By the way I was in fourth grade when I began shaving and had breasts by the time I was in the middle of my fifth grade year. I sympathize with little girls like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
skywalker15
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 8:58 PM

I developed really early too, but this child is 6 years old. she is in 1st grade. She isn't complaining because of anyone making fun of her or because its uncomfortable. She is complaining because her legs dont get to be shaved like her mama's

ShannaBee
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:02 PM
Oh well then she wants to imitate and be like Mom, totally normal. I wouldn't question shaving a six year old because it seems harmless to me. I've played in makeup with my four year old niece because she wanted to look like me. Some people may raise eyebrows at putting makeup on a three to four year old. Mom might do it as a girl bonding beauty moment. No biggie in my book. At least she's not like the mom I saw on tv who bought her 8-11 yo DD vouchers for breast augmentation!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:04 PM

You are not crazy! But the mother , who want to shave her 6 years old girl legs is definitely crazy!

skywalker15
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:09 PM

See I have even played with make up with her, but I think youdo have to draw the line at some point. My man has an 8 almost 9 yr old girl and neither of us will even think of letting her shave yet.

I just think if she is going to let her shave now then she may as well get used to Lisa asking to do everythging early. like make up, dating, physical aspects of relationships

truly.a.taurus
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:29 PM
I think 6 is a little young but I am old fashioned in many ways.
Angelknot8
by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 9:50 PM

I personally think 6 is too young. I see the others points on it being itchy ect.

Owner of the cafemom group
Parenting a child with Behavioral disorders by adoption or step parenting  http://www.cafemom.com/group/115157

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Oct. 2, 2011 at 10:18 PM

I thought that, but SD 7's hair is getting so hot.  She is so impulsive I don't want her shaving.  I don't know what to do.  I don't really want to have her start doing anything, but it's so dark and there is so much of it.  BM mentioned at 5 that she'd have to start shaving soon.  It wasn't even this bad then.

Ms.Gwen
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM
That's difficult to answer. Let's say for example that facial hair for women runs in the family.... Let's say that SD at 6 has a beard and the circus has allready extended her an invite. Ridiculous I know, but for arguments sake... There are 2 sides to this argument. 1) don't let her shave. She is beautiful the way she is and you don't want to damage her self esteem. Or 2) being made fun of and all the strange looks WILL damage her self-esteem! Shave it off. I think the deciding factor on which side of the fence to land is the girls opinion of herself. What does SD want/think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured