Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Shaving or buffing a 6 year olds legs???

Posted by   + Show Post

So the whole reason I joined CM in the beginning is because I took over caring for my ex-fiance's nieces and nephews. Well they have gone back to living with the BP now, but I am very close with one of the mothers. We will call that mother Alyssa and her children Lisa and Eugene.

Well Alyssa and I were talking on the phone today and she is concerned about Lisa's legs being so hariy and whether or not she should try that little buffing thing or a razor on them. I said definitely not yet because Lisa is only 6 years old!

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I just dont think you should really worry about those types of things until closer to middle school. Maybe 10 at the very earliest.

She says she wouldnt be so concerned if LIsa wasnt complaining about it, but I just dont think its really the best idea.

Am i crazy or is 6 WAY too young to even think about that stuff (the mother i mean)? What are your thoughts?

by on Oct. 2, 2011 at 8:49 PM
Replies (11-16):
brownlepard
by Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 10:07 AM

My DD has extremely hairy legs (she got them from me). I bought one of those fake shaving kits they sell at christmas time, so she can "shave" her  legs with me. It worked for about 3 years, but she's 9 now and kids are starting to make fun of her. Try that until she gets picked on about them, then revisit the issue.

skywalker15
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 10:27 AM

Well like I said, she hasn't mentioned being made fun of for it or anything. She just wants her legs smooth like mommy's

skywalker15
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 10:30 AM

Thank you brownleopard! I think that is a great idea! HEck I will even ask her other momma if I can buy it, that way she won't be able to say anything about wasting money on it. Thanks!!!

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 11:07 AM

No, I think it's fine. If the hair is making the child self-conscious then it makes sense to do something about it. So I agree with the mother.

Shadow619
by on Oct. 3, 2011 at 11:21 AM

In my opinion a 6 year old shouldn't be concerned with the hair on her legs. Is this an issue for the child or the mother? I agree with you that middle school is the best age to start worrying about shaving legs. That's when I started.

bremery
by Silver Member on Oct. 3, 2011 at 11:51 AM

I remember being made fun of for having hairy legs. I was 10 then, but kids are much more cruel at a younger age now. It really isn't a big deal, I don't think.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN