Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Teenage Step-parent needs help!

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 9:49 AM
  • 15 Replies

Hi!        I need advice, opinions  on teenage step parenting         Please share :)

by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 9:52 AM

How old are you? How long have you been married, how old are your husband's kids, and how much parenting time does he have (ie, who has custody?)

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 9:56 AM

Quoting whatIknownow:

How old are you? How long have you been married, how old are your husband's kids, and how much parenting time does he have (ie, who has custody?)

basically our advice can depend on how long you've been stepmom and if your husband is primary care giver or not.

ame4c

beachgirl999
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:01 AM

I am 47. One of my step daughters who is 17, moved in with dad and I in May.  It has been a nightmare. She and her mother didn't get along the law had to be called numerous times      dad and i moved to area close enough for her to remain in same High school (not intentionally)

beachgirl999
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM

we have been married since 2005            

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:10 AM
1 mom liked this

oohhhhh I thought YOU were a teenage stepmom! HAHAHAHA.... damn... I was not even close.

oh no offense (I'm 50... lol)

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Oh wow, I thought YOU were the teenage stepparent!

TheStepMonster
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM

Ohhhhhhhhh your question is about being a SM to a teenager, not being a teenager who is a SM.  LOL

Ok - so yeah - at 17, she's pretty much out of your reach, really need to make sure dad is on board. But tell us more - what is the relationship like with you and her?  There's alot of variables here that would affect the advice.  :)

Quoting beachgirl999:

I am 47. One of my step daughters who is 17, moved in with dad and I in May.  It has been a nightmare. She and her mother didn't get along the law had to be called numerous times      dad and i moved to area close enough for her to remain in same High school (not intentionally)

beachgirl999
by on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:13 AM

i'm the sstep-mom of 17 year old lol 

ame4c
by Bronze Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

Oh, IC... wow...  I think the best thing might have been to get her into a different school.  Maybe change of senery would have helped, but now that you are where you are you have to buckle down.  She is almost of age, so there is not much you can do but stick to your guns and let her know who's the boss of the house.  At this age, it will be difficult and she will probably resent you until she is about 21-22.  Even bio parents have this trouble so don't take it personally.  It's the teen years that does it, not the step parenting.  Some kids just rebel like crazy.

Is she into drugs? fighting? you said the law got involved.  I would suggest family counseling for at least her and her dad, to help build on their relationship.  They may not know how to have a normal father/daughter relationship. That would not neccissarily involve you and it wouldn't be a disrespect thing, it would just be the two of them trying to work on their relationship.  That is what really needs to happen here. I know it sounds bad, but in the end you are just Dad's wife to this girl. She does still need to respect you and treat you well, that is not what I mean.  At this age, you will most likely be more of an adult friend than a parental figure.  Yes she still needs to obey your rules and respect you, but that really won't happen unless your husband backs your play.

Good Luck!

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Nov. 2, 2011 at 10:15 AM

ok so- new set of questions. How far away does mom live, why have the police been called. Does SD get along with her dad, does she get along with you? What kind of relationship does she have with you?

how is she doing in school?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN