Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not bathing?

Posted by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:22 PM
  • 21 Replies
I keep reading these posts on here and in other groups about young teens not bathing. Is this really that common? SS is only 5, and I'm worried! I was in sports and always bathed, my sister was a neat freak, and my brother just did it, so I have no experience if that's what is going to happen.

How common is it? What can we do now to make sure he's not a smelly kid?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
notthebio
by on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:25 PM

It is war for bathtime from 9 -11 for my SS and it was the same also for my nephews... 

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Nov. 9, 2011 at 11:42 PM
Its a stage. A stinky stage. Lasts longer for some than others. So far, the stiinky winner in our house is SS12 but all of them went through it, even the girls.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Devtanbay3
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:26 AM
Getting my very trendy have to be the coolest 16 yr. old DS to shower is like pulling teeth. It makes me crazy. My SS-12 is the same way. We MAKE him shower when he is here EOWE but not sure how it is at BM's cause she is gone to work before he leaves for school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beeber
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 3:31 AM
I have a 14 year old brother than showers 1-2 times a day. I have an 11 year old brother that its a battle with this one and he does not use soap because of eczema so he stinks by day 2. So far my DD8 showers 2 times a day and DD5 starts her own bath whenever she farts or poops..so I don't have to worry yet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pero
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 4:24 AM

My DD11 is very conscious about looks ... her bathroom is full of powders and potions and lotions and God knows what else. But showering? I told her last night to take her shower, and her response was "but Mum, I had one yesterday". So I took out the shirt she wore to school last week and let her smell the arm pits. The shirt had been washed on cold, the sweat stain was still there and smelly, so I had to put it back in the laundry basked. She showered without any further comment.

whatIknownow
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 8:05 AM

I don't know, I have had 3 teenagers and I never had a problem getting them to take a shower every day. Two boys and a girl, they all took daily showers all on their own.

Now my SD12 has to be told to take a shower, and sometimes she puts up a little resistance, but we make it clear she can't leave the house till she takes a shower, so she does.

I think it's a matter of parenting. If you make the kids do it from the time they are young, they'll do it. Now in my SD's mother's house, BM never makes her take a shower and she doesnt' shower (and  often doesn't even change her clothes) from Friday till sunday. Its'not a problem because of the limited time she is with her mother, but again - it's clearly a matter of parenting (or lack of).

AmyB118
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:05 AM
DD13 went thru the stinky kid stage. I told her all about health and hygiene issues and it took her until she was about 12 to "get it". She got better slowly but there were times when it was a huge battle to get her in the shower.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:09 AM

We have SS13, SS11 and DS11 at home and haven't had that problem with any of them.  They all have the routine down and we don't have to tell them to start showers.

I hope it stays that way.

702Runnerd
by Member on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:11 AM

I believe its a stage my SD-13 we STILL have to tell and DD 12 its a constant battle, I do not compromise when it comes to hygiene, shower daily. Oh and brush teeth, with toothpaste..GEEZ!!

I eventually got tired of fighting and made a checklist, like for a 5 yr old, and gave each child one and they were not allowed to watch TV or computer till things on the list were done a nd checked by a parent!! It seemed to work, we still have to remind but then they're good for a week or two.

AmyB118
by on Nov. 10, 2011 at 9:13 AM
Not necessarily a lack of parenting. No one could have been on a kids ass more than we were to get her in the shower. She was resistant for whatever reason.

I tried every route I could short of physically wrestling her into the bathroom.

YSS apparently went an entire summer with one shower. His reasoning was he'd been swimming....same thing in his mind. Apparently no one really noticed until DH saw something brown behind his ear and wondered when he got a birthmark there. They figured out it wasnt a birthmark but it was dirt :/.

It happens to the best of us. Some just get clean kids....some get stinky ones :)

Quoting whatIknownow:

I don't know, I have had 3 teenagers and I never had a problem getting them to take a shower every day. Two boys and a girl, they all took daily showers all on their own.

Now my SD12 has to be told to take a shower, and sometimes she puts up a little resistance, but we make it clear she can't leave the house till she takes a shower, so she does.

I think it's a matter of parenting. If you make the kids do it from the time they are young, they'll do it. Now in my SD's mother's house, BM never makes her take a shower and she doesnt' shower (and  often doesn't even change her clothes) from Friday till sunday. Its'not a problem because of the limited time she is with her mother, but again - it's clearly a matter of parenting (or lack of).

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)