Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The whole Title thing in another light

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

My question is how do your bio/sks refer to each other and other members of your families.  We have 6 children between my dh and I, none together.  They call each other brothers and sisters when talking about each other.  My sks call my mom and dad "nana and papa"  and my brother "uncle" just like my boys.  My boys have 2 stepsisters on their dads side that they call their "sisters."  They also call dhs mom "grandma" and his siblings "aunt and uncle."  Sks have no other siblings (step or bio) on their bms side, so I don't know what they would call them if they did. Our children are around each other all of the time even when it is not their time at our house, they go to school together and play sports together as well as just hang out in their free time.  How do all of you handle these kinds of  "titles" and do you consider them as important as the title of mom and dad. Maybe Important isn't the right way of putting it.  Do you as sms/bms think this is crossing that same kind of boundary?

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Well, in our situation BM has never wanted SS to call me mom (made that blatantly clear to SS the first month DH and I were together). She has also made it clear to SS that my ODD is his 'sister', just as much as her other 3 kids are his brother and sisters. BM has never had an issue with SS referring to my family by the same names my DD's use. It was never really something I considered at the time, cause growing up a lot of my friends only knew my mom and grandma as 'mom' and 'grandma'. I still have friends today who probably couldn't tell you my grandma's name.

However, BM has always encouraged SS to call SF dad (even before they were married). She made it clear to SS that her DH's kids are his step-siblings and he refers to his SF's mom as grandma 'her name'.

It's always been strange that she tries to keep me at the same distance as her DH's family.

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 3:43 PM
What is the "other light" about titles? This seems the same as every other "title" post to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
8sEnuff
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:06 PM

Quoting KnowItAll:

What is the "other light" about titles? This seems the same as every other "title" post to me.

What is the point in you responding if you can't actually come up with a real answer to the question?  Or did you just read the title? 

paladinmom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:16 PM

My stich is very much like yours, although one child is DH/mine together, 2 BC, 3 SKs.
They call me "Mom" and have for nearly 7 years (started out with a nickname and lead to Mom on their own accord)... My kids call DH "Dad" as well.  They call each other brothers and sisters.  All extended family members are Aunt, Uncle, Grandma, Grandpa, Mamaw, Papaw, etc.
The only person who attempts to force anything different is BM.  The children choose who they call what at our house.  BM wishes they at "Step" in front of everything if it relates to a "step" person (mom, sibling, extended family member).  The children follow her wishes at her house, and use their own choices freely at our house.

paladinmom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:18 PM

If you think about what OP is saying, she is simply wishing to know if her family is the only one like this....  Open your mind a bit 8 and KnowItAll....

Quoting 8sEnuff:

Quoting KnowItAll:

What is the point in you responding if you can't actually come up with a real answer to the question?  Or did you just read the title? 

Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools. ~Napoleon

jessiesluv
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:25 PM

granny and grandpaw... and my parents dont treat them any different.

8sEnuff
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Quoting paladinmom:

If you think about what OP is saying, she is simply wishing to know if her family is the only one like this....  Open your mind a bit 8 and KnowItAll....

Quoting 8sEnuff:

Quoting KnowItAll:

That's funny I am 8 the op.  I was asking knowitall why she bothered saying anything at all if she couldn't even get past the title.  She didn't seem to think there was actually a question in my post, but had to put her 2 cents in anyway.

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:35 PM
What is the point in quoting me just to be rude and not answer my question? I did read your post. It had nothing to do with your title. So I was simply asking about this "new light" that you are supposedly shining on the issue of titles because all I'm seeing is the same old title debate. If you have no further explanation, that's fine. Feel free to ignore my question. :o)

Quoting 8sEnuff:

Quoting KnowItAll:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paladinmom
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

OOPS!  I misread your response!  My bad!!!!  I get it now...

Quoting 8sEnuff:

Quoting paladinmom:

Quoting 8sEnuff:

Quoting KnowItAll:

That's funny I am 8 the op.  I was asking knowitall why she bothered saying anything at all if she couldn't even get past the title.  She didn't seem to think there was actually a question in my post, but had to put her 2 cents in anyway.

Impossible is a word only to be found in the dictionary of fools. ~Napoleon

8sEnuff
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 4:45 PM

I was asking about different titles in step life, sorry if my post title didn't make sense to you, but there actually was a question posed that I have not heard discussed here since I joined and I was curious how other people handle it in their situations.  How is it less rude of you to only respond to how I titled my question and then give nothing more than an opinion on my title alone.  It would be pointless to ask anything here if everyone responded that way. 

Quoting KnowItAll:

What is the point in quoting me just to be rude and not answer my question? I did read your post. It had nothing to do with your title. So I was simply asking about this "new light" that you are supposedly shining on the issue of titles because all I'm seeing is the same old title debate. If you have no further explanation, that's fine. Feel free to ignore my question. :o)

Quoting 8sEnuff:

Quoting KnowItAll:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)