Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OK quick question????

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM
  • 10 Replies

I was wondering if I should treat my 6 yearold SD and my 9year old DD  the same responsibility wise??? And as far as phone privilages, going to friends, etc. I do think the 6 yaer old should be allowed to do as much as the 9 year old just because of the age....When the 9 year old was 6 she didnt get to do as much. I guess the way i see it whats the point of getting older if there is nothing to look forward to??? If I'm wrong please tell me why......

by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommy0505
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Different ages = different responsibilities.

You wouldn't let a 13 yr old do the same things as a 16 yr old.  Gotta get used to it now.

Andie646
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 2:25 PM

DS is 3 ... he doesn't get to do a lot of what SS's get to do because they are 8 and 9. In fact, between the 8 and 9 year old there are things that one can do that the other can't ...

It's not about "looking forward" to growing up and more about safety. A 6 year old most likely needs A LOT of supervision with a phone, while a 9 year old can be somewhat independent with it. 9 year old can probably walk down the street to a friends house alone while a 6 year old isn't usually mature enough yet.

Chrismomto5
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 4:38 PM

No, first your daughter is older than SD.  A six year old is not mature enough to get as many priviledges as a 9yr old.  Besides, what 6yr old wants to talk on the phone?!  

peanut152011
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 6:32 PM

I know it is somewhat odd but my 6 yr old SD wants to talk on the phone all the time. I guess since my husband and i have just comdined families I have been really trying to be fair to them both but i guess it really isnt fair to treat the 9 yr old like she is 6.

E_is_4_Ethan
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:03 PM

To who?

Quoting peanut152011:

I know it is somewhat odd but my 6 yr old SD wants to talk on the phone all the time. I guess since my husband and i have just comdined families I have been really trying to be fair to them both but i guess it really isnt fair to treat the 9 yr old like she is 6.

peanut152011
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:38 PM

To her friends from her kindergarten class lol

E_is_4_Ethan
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:40 PM

OMGosh.. that's really cute. None of my kids wanted to do that. LOL

Quoting peanut152011:

To her friends from her kindergarten class lol

pc6
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 7:43 PM
i think they need different rules and responsibilities according to their ages as stated above. my SD is 14 and my DDs arr 7, 10 and 12. they all have diffrrences. its hard when one is a step kid but its important IMO :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paladinmom
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

kidshealth dot org has good suggestions for age differences.  9 yo is one that is giving more privileges to than a 6 yo.  Go take a look at their advice!  I use this site a lot and recommed in a lot too!

Angelknot8
by on Jan. 15, 2012 at 9:47 PM

Um no theres age limits for things for reasons.

I am the face of IH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)