Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you could change the world....

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this
If you could change how society views SMs or expects of us what would you change? I would change the "love them as your own" expectation to "love them like family". I'd also like to see a Disney princess movie with a Positive SM character.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Momato4
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Yes a positive disney movie and a good teen movie about a step mom would be awesome. We watched stp mom together but it was not really like our life so it was hard to relate.

ec_mom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:57 PM
I agree, especially the part about a positive SM in a Disney movie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM

I would like to see a good SM in a disney movie too.

but I have never experienced society's negative view of SMs. Everyone I've every met has been very supportive of my SM role and I've never sensed that anyone thought I should love my skids like my own.

4and1mom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM
With the way the world is now I feel like being a SM is pretty much the norm. It would be nice if there was a new Disney movie with a positive SM though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newstepmom61811
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:16 PM
6 moms liked this

Yeah, and when I'm in a room full of BM's and it comes out that I'm the SM of the kids that silent look of "ohhhhh" you get and the sudden ousting from "the club" (the mommy club). Now I suddenly don't know a thing about how to handle the kids I've been handling well full time, the title actually in some eyes negates what I've been doing in real life. Women will really cut each other off at the knees. I've actually kicked two of my closest friends out of my life for this "you wouldn't understand" their not really yours BS.  No, I don't have a birth story but do I understand the workload, juggling act, and blood, sweat, love, and tears that goes into raising kids full time, YES, I'm raising 3 full time on top of a full time and part time job. I'm not sitting on my ass eating bon bons all day...and I would say my job is even harder than a BMs, I'm doing the daily tasks of her job with a bullseye on my ass with everyone looking over my shoulder to make sure I get it right where if they were mine I'd have this workload without having to answer to anyone but myself.  I've got her in my damned rear view knowing that as hard as I'm working for her kids any little shit they don't like gets reported to her. And MIL is watching me too hoping like hell I'm doing it better than BM wishing she would just finally go away and take the drama with her. The only saving grace is the amazing support from DH and three adorable kiddos, he is a prize, and the kiddos are charmers...worth all of it.

Faeta
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:29 PM
i love "a mom for christmas" for movies... But would really love a good sm in disney.

i dont know what id change for peoples view of sm.

ive had my own issues with bm, and yes some of it pissed me off... But i dont think it has to do with me as sm. Some of the things her sister does to help the kids piss the bm off.

and for society? I just havent anything bad that stands out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jenessamarie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 9:50 PM
I don't need the world to change in that regard. I'd like it to change in many ways, that's just not one of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chanizen
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 10:51 PM
3 moms liked this
I think I would just *poof* take away the concept that bm and sm are in competition.

That would require the world to be a little more perfect and noble. Not sure if it would work. Lol.

But it would be a really cool starting point.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
happyblue
by on Feb. 9, 2012 at 7:11 AM
Lol you havnt met my MIL

Quoting whatIknownow:

I would like to see a good SM in a disney movie too.

but I have never experienced society's negative view of SMs. Everyone I've every met has been very supportive of my SM role and I've never sensed that anyone thought I should love my skids like my own.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yesmaam
by Silver Member on Feb. 9, 2012 at 8:07 AM

I would like to see people not thinking of SMs as the OW or homewrecker if she really isn't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)