Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sd's are the most hyper, energetic, loudest kids ever!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

My sd's, ages 5 and 6, are non-stop from the moment they get to our house until the time they leave.  I thought boys were usually the ones who are loud with all the energy.  Sometimes I think they are boys disguised in girls' bodies.  They wrestle and fight like boys and run around and just never stop.  I don't have my own bio kids, so I guess this is typical behaviour for their age?  I used to babysit all the time but I don't remember any of the kids ever being like these two.  It would just be nice if they came over some time and just quietly hung out instead of running all over the place.  Don't get me wrong, when we have them over the weekends, they do have their down time, but there's not very much of it.  They are just absolutely exhausting - maybe I'm just old.  : ) 

by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whatIknownow
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:13 PM

is there a quite place you can retreat to, like your bedroom or a study?  some kids are just very energetic and loud.

I am probably too old for that too, at this point in my life. I would just find a place to retreat, for a little while.

BrandiGra
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM
For their age it sounds normal. As they get older they will calm down
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Gwen
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 3:15 PM
Have you tried exercising them? I'm not being condescending or silly. I'm actually quite serious... Have you tried starting your visits with a loud, running around, energy draining activity? Bike riding, go to a park, etc... We have an indoor gym for kids here. For 20 bucks I can drop them off and they will wear them out for me! They have trampolines, climbing walls, and an obstacle course. I'm saying a little prayer for that place right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Haha sounds like my step kids.  They don't have an off switch either.  And there's no escaping them.  I have learned to zone out and just watch them run circles.

Polkadotted
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Oh I wish we had one of those!  Although it takes hours for them to run out of energy.

And once they are tired, they talk, and talk and talk :)    At least they are really funny!

Quoting Ms.Gwen:

Have you tried exercising them? I'm not being condescending or silly. I'm actually quite serious... Have you tried starting your visits with a loud, running around, energy draining activity? Bike riding, go to a park, etc... We have an indoor gym for kids here. For 20 bucks I can drop them off and they will wear them out for me! They have trampolines, climbing walls, and an obstacle course. I'm saying a little prayer for that place right now.

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Its normal; it would be abnormal is they were not like that (said as a parent of a 6, 4, and 2 yr old). The only time mine are quiet ot stop moving of their own accord is when they are sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LivnSimply
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 6:57 PM
It can be a sign of stress. I think it's pretty normal due to transitioning. If you watch you might notice a difference at school or elsewhere where they are not as wild if it's stress related. If it's not a noticeable change then it's them.

My stepson would turn hyper whenever we left the house and I noticed it appeared to be stress thing. He's improving but he still gets pretty amped up when we only have him during the weekend. It takes a several days for him to settle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sPiCyNiNjAkItTy
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:04 PM

I would totally be willing to compete with you on that. (jk) My own son is probably the most hyper kid in the whole world, then I got 3 skids that are almost just as bad. 4 of them terrorizing me at every second. I've got my 18 month old "calm child'' thank goodness for her, or else I would go insane!!!

It's totally normal for girls to wrestle and stuff. I did!

paladinmom
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:13 PM

My older girls slow down about 7 pm and are ready for bed about 8 pm at the latest!  Some days they are more calm.  

The boys... they are full action from the moment they wake until the moment they crash!!!  

jenessamarie
by on Feb. 8, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Uggghhhhh!!!! My kids are the most hyper, energetic, loudest kids ever!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)