Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

In need of step mom advise

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM
  • 76 Replies

My SO has two sons, who are 2 and 3. His ex tricked him into both pregnancies (she was 18 when she got pregnant with the first) looking for a meal ticket. She is immature and a total piece of trash - a completely unfit mother.

When the boys were 14 months and 28 months, darling BM decided that life at the bar and moving in with random men was more important than her children and she left hem. A few months ago she "secretly" moved away. I'm still not sure how she thought my SO wouldn't figure it out when she used to live across the street from him and she has been no where to be seen. She gave him the name of her new work place which is 3 hours away. At this point in time, she will only stop in to see the boys every other weekend and loves to put on a big show with them, parading them around to all of her relatives to act like she's such a great mother. Then she leaves for 2 more weeks (or more!) without so much as texting or calling to see how the kids are doing in between.

She smokes around them, tells them to say bad things, feeds them nothing but fast food, and the most disturbing is how she plays with their emotions. The 3 year old often tells us that "Chris hit mommy" (that was one of her many boyfriends) and he is deeply disturbed by it. I consulted a psychologist that I work with and she said that the 3 year old either saw her get hit, or she told him that the boyfriend hit hm to get the kids to quit asking about him. At this point, she just comes around often enough to remind them that they don't have a mother. If she keeps them overnight, she lets them stay up late, and she lets them do whatever they want. Toddlers need discipline b/c these are some of their most critical formative years. For her to just feed them crap, not bathe them and let them rip the house apart, jump on furniture, etc. she's just around enough to undo the discipline that my SO has been so good at keeping - as a single 25 year old dad with primary custody of toddler boys!

One of the things that concerns me most is that it is very clear that she only likes the older son (who is difficult, moody and sneaky just ike her and really, really needs discipline) and ignores the 2 year old who is just a happy-go-lucky lovely little guy. Many times when they come home after staying overnight with her, the 2 year old has night terrors. Not nightmares, but straight up, screaming for 30 minutes in the middle of a dead sleep night terrors. I'm not sure if this is because she is mean to him, because of the story about her ex boyfriend hitting her, or what it might be from, but he only has night terrors after seeing her.

When the boys come home from a visit, it is terrible. The older one is heartsick because he knows it will be a long time until he sees her and he screams, and throws tantrums. Under that, I can just see how sad he is. The 2 year old couldn't be happier to come home to daddy.

I came into the picture 7 months ago and our relationship is going great. We have a lot in common, and I could see us getting married. I spend a lot of time with the kids - way more time with them than their BM. I cook them healthy meals, play with them, help discipline them, watch them sometimes to give my SO a break, give them baths, read them stories, take them to the park, etc.

It breaks my heart that their piece of crap mother is just in the picture enough to make such a negative impact on them, and contributes nothing positive to their lives.

So here's where my need for advise comes into play... I love my SO and I love his kids, but the thought of dealing with his trashy ex forever frankly freaks me out like nothing else. I am a calm, passive person who promotes peace and love, but I could seriously knock this woman out without thinking. Am I crazy to pursue this relationship? What am I getting myself into? Am I totally dreaming when I think that since she's never around I could be their mother figure and that we could have a happy little family?

I really need advise from step moms who have been there!

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:39 PM

Is this a joke?

how old are you?

Ecomaiden
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:43 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would you think it is a joke?

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:48 PM
2 moms liked this

because you started dating your boyfriend 7 months ago and already you are talking about being their mother figure and a happy little family.

creepy.

ThePinkRobot
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Their mom is not "never around" so your plan seems a little flawed. Your entire post is about all the damage she is doing. It looks like she is a pretty big factor that you cannot pretend just doesn't exist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
packermomof2
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:54 PM
4 moms liked this

I don't think it's a joke.  I do think it is entertaining though... tricked him into both pregnancies?  Hilarious stuff there.

SammyJK
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:55 PM
If bm is barely around like you say, she can't have that much influence on them negatively or otherwise. Especially considering their ages.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Quoting packermomof2:

I don't think it's a joke.  I do think it is entertaining though... tricked him into both pregnancies?  Hilarious stuff there.

That's what I was thinking.  How can anyone be so stupid as to be tricked into TWO pregnancies???  Hopefully he wraps his wiener now.

Ecomaiden
by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 9:59 PM

I'm referring to the "I'm on birth control" trick. She was desperate. I believe all people are responsible for their own fertility so he's obviously at fault too, for believing her the first time, and for not running like hell the second time.

ekh2010
by Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:07 PM
Its not bout age. Its about love and how much your willing to give how you can learn to cope w the situation. But really take your situation right this second night terrors tantrums crazy bm stressed so and multiply it by forever. its up to you...if you say yes you have a long but rewarding journey that will be difficult at times and if you say no step back now before the kids or you become any more attached
Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting packermomof2:

he's a slow learner?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)