• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Would you pay half?

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM
  • 86 Replies
Sd's bm is taking her out of the country in June. Her passport needs to be renewed. Should we pay for half? I say that's what cs is for and if the situation were reversed we wouldn't expect bm to help. Dh wants to minimize conflict. We are discussing it and i see his point but I want to know if I'm out of line.
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AmyB118
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM
2 moms liked this

Dunno...Who has the passport? Would there be a chance that you all would ever need to use it?  Really - how much can "half" actually be - Like $20 or $30 max? Should it really be an issue or problem?

Sumintrak
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:51 PM
2 moms liked this
Hi there :)!
When you get a passport it requires both patents signatures. I agree with you about the CS situation and that should pay for it. I also think that if it's a "she can't go unless you pay half" type of situation then I say chuck it up and pay half. She should see the world and not be stopped because her parents couldn't agree on payment. If the money is there do it ;), she deserves the exposure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JacyB
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:53 PM
1 mom liked this
You should pay half. I don't understand why you wouldn't. A passport is an "extra" and child support is meant more for necessity...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
annabl1970
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 8:55 PM
DH wouldn't think twice, he would just pay for it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BluDog
by Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM
Her mom hasn't asked us yet but she has yet to go on a vacation and not ask us to chip in. Bm is very well off and we do ok for ourselves. At this point it's hypothetical and dh would be willing to pay if bm asked. We are not in any position to use the passport any time soon but I feel maybe we could reimburse bm if we do need it.
BrandiGra
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:04 PM
2 moms liked this
Should,would could.
Should he pay? Will he ever need to use the passport. How much does he pay in cs?
Would my dh pay if he were ncp and in your dh shoes? Yes.
Could your household afford to pay half? Only you and your dh can answer that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy0505
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 9:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess you could think of a passport as similar to other legal and/or medical type stuff... so then it would make sense to pay 1/2.

Just a thought.  It's not like she's asking you to pay 1/2 the ticket for sd's travel...

chasinrainbows
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:07 PM

1/2 is what....$50? Do you guys ever go out of the country with SD and use her passport? 

nmaxwell816
by on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope...I wouldn't pay half.

newwife1
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2012 at 10:17 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting nmaxwell816:

Nope...I wouldn't pay half.

I agree.

If mom chooses to take the child out of the country and can afford to do so then she should be responsible for the associated costs.

It's not like paying half of softball or something.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)