Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

UPDATE Sleeping arrangements

Posted by   + Show Post

If you have EOWE skids, where do they sleep??

We are currently trying to redo our floors in our house and we have a new baby on the way.  SD was sharing a room with my youngest.  With approximately 4 mos before baby we decided to get a nursery ready.  We agreed my two kids can share a room and bought them bunk beds.  I assumed dh realized this was so the baby could have its own room (so it isn't waking the kids up).  He apparently thought we were giving sd her own room and that the baby will be in our room (yes the baby will be in our room for a couple months).  After telling him no he suggested we give up our bedroom for sd and sleep in the living room!!  She only comes EOWE!!  I talked him into her sharing a room with the other two........then I had to open my big mouth again.  :(

SD is almost 3 and refuses to sleep in her toddler bed.  He gives in and lets her sleep in a pack and play!!!!!!!!!!  YIKES!!  (sd's behavior and dhs lack of punishment are a huge issue in the household right now!!)  I put my foot down yesterday and said NO MORE PACK AND PLAY!!  Then, like I said, I opened my mouth again :(  I suggested we move the toddler bed to the basement and bring it up on her weekends.  Im not trying to leave her out, I'd have the bed up and ready before she came.  My reasoning is, we are trying to redo the floors.  One bedroom is completely off limits right now and we are refinishing hardwood in the living room so theres no where but the one bedroom left for the kids to play.  BUT with bunk beds and a toddler bed set up they have no room in their bedroom either.  I just suggested we move it back and forth.  Was that horrible?  Dh thought it was and is upset.  He said, "this is *sds* house now too and its her room!!"  Im not trying to leave her out or not let her have space, but I am trying to be practical.  One of my friends said "when i went to my dad and stepmoms i slept on the couch and never minded a bit!" 

What do you guys do with your skids?? 

Last night I tried to compromise with dh.  I suggested we get some help from a few friends and get the 3rd bedroom remodel done asap.  I told him then sd could have that room until the baby is old enough to move into there.  I explained again to him the only reason I want the baby to have its own room for awhile is so its not waking up the girls all night.  The nerve of this guy...... He told me that I was again leaving sd out!!  He said she wouldn't feel at home and wouldn't understand why the older two got to share a room and I am making her be all alone!!  It was his idea originally to give sd her own room!!  I don't find it at all practical to give someone their own room for 4 days a month, but was trying to make dh happy!  I asked him, "Why is nothing ever good enough for you or her?"  He said, "She will always be my princess, get used to it!" 

by on Apr. 11, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Replies (71-74):
drumlinemama
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 4:17 PM

My home has four bedrooms and we have four kids between us and it was important to us that each kid have their own room.  How were we going to do this?  We love the house and the neighborhood and didn't want to move.  So we took 1/4 of our garage and made a 5th bedroom.  We used two existing walls and built two new walls.  We had an electrician come out and put in the electrical but the rest my fiance and his two friends and our two boys did.  We bought a wonderful ceramic space heater which works great and will be getting a small window air conditioner if we need to.  We took the light/ceiling fan out of our dining room and put it out there and got a new fixture for the dining room.  We carpeted as well.  The room looks great and we spent around $2500.  Well worth the money.  If you want to see pics, please let me know!  Oh and my 18yo LOVES IT!!!

stashia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:05 PM

Sounds amazing!!  :)  Definately a wonderful idea.....and cheap!!  I think in a few years we will think about selling this place.  I bought it when it was just me and my two.  Now that we are a growing family again, we are outgrowing the house and since we are in town, we don't have a lot of room for adding on.  Very awesome idea, thanks!!  Do you guys have your step kids full time??  Mine comes every other weekend.

Quoting drumlinemama:

My home has four bedrooms and we have four kids between us and it was important to us that each kid have their own room.  How were we going to do this?  We love the house and the neighborhood and didn't want to move.  So we took 1/4 of our garage and made a 5th bedroom.  We used two existing walls and built two new walls.  We had an electrician come out and put in the electrical but the rest my fiance and his two friends and our two boys did.  We bought a wonderful ceramic space heater which works great and will be getting a small window air conditioner if we need to.  We took the light/ceiling fan out of our dining room and put it out there and got a new fixture for the dining room.  We carpeted as well.  The room looks great and we spent around $2500.  Well worth the money.  If you want to see pics, please let me know!  Oh and my 18yo LOVES IT!!!

neverbeamom
by on Apr. 12, 2012 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow @ the update.

If he is hellbent on making SD the #1 priority in your household above the other kids (including his unborn), maybe you need to issue an ultimatum.  Tell him either he agrees with you or agrees to disagree.  If he is going to make life difficult by not coming to an agreement with you, then HE should share a room with her.  You and the baby can share a room and he and SD can share a room.

stashia
by Bronze Member on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:50 AM

My ultimatum:  He spends one on one time with her next weekend, when they are around us he disciplines all the kids the same.....meaning he has to actually discipline her, no more putting her in a playpen and no more treating her like a BABY!!  I flat out said, "shes sharing a room with the other two, unless she throws a fit about not getting her playpen, then we are moving her toddler bed to the living room so she doesn't keep everyone awake.  I was tired of him telling my kids "this is (sd's) house now, get used to it!"  so I made sure I told him, this is my kids house too, they will be comfortable in their own home and not have to give up anything just so she can have more than them.  Im fine with equality, i treat sd equal to my kids, but ill be damned if im going to watch him make my kids miserable in their own home just so she can have more than them.  It wasn't easy for me to stand up to him.

Quoting neverbeamom:

Wow @ the update.

If he is hellbent on making SD the #1 priority in your household above the other kids (including his unborn), maybe you need to issue an ultimatum.  Tell him either he agrees with you or agrees to disagree.  If he is going to make life difficult by not coming to an agreement with you, then HE should share a room with her.  You and the baby can share a room and he and SD can share a room.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)