Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Do you financially support his kids?

Why or why not?

by on Apr. 21, 2012 at 7:15 PM
Replies (41-50):
findingserenity
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:25 AM
This

Quoting MamaK313:

Not a dime. They have a mom and dad to financially support them, they do not need a third person pitching in too. I have my own two children to support.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newwife1
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Why would I be expected to pay his ex wife money every month?

My husband is responsible for HIS child whether he has a wife or not.

Legally I am not obligated to financially provide for his child.

Yes, children are a financial obligation whether you like it not. The PARENTS are legally obligated to provide for them, I am not.

If BM were halfway normal and halfway decent I may not have a problem contributing, but I will not give her one red cent of my money. Period. I didn't marry my husband to help support his kid or ex wife, like it or not it's HIS responsibility, not mine. I work too hard to give my money away to anyone and if I had a child by another man I would never expect someone else to help support it.

Quoting braezmommy89:

Wow.... i didnt know children were obligations??

Why did you marry someone with children if this was gonna be your attitude?

Quoting newwife1:

Nope, not a single penny.

I don't have children and his child is not my obligation in any way.

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Theoretically yes. The household income is OUR income, so what goes out for child support (and other financial needs not included in monthly child support) is just a part of the household and personal expenses.

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Yes
crazylady0506
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Yes I do. Their BM doesn't support them in any way shape or form....6K in debt to child support....hasn't paid it once...even though right now its about 10 dollars a month...she still doesn't pay...even when it was 5 a month...DH and I have a joint checking, my kids child support goes to helping with all the kids and all our money is put together to support our whole family.  No matter how much they may irritate me sometimes, I still love them and help them like I can.

crazylady0506
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:31 PM

I did pay his child support off to his ex wife as well...which she squandered and the child was kicked out on the street of another state when the money came in....We had to make a mad dash to another state to pick up my SD and bring her home to live with us.

kloesmommy
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 12:49 PM
I have in the past when dh was unemployed on and off. When I did, it was only if we had extra after mine and dds needs were met. I will never sacrifice myself or make dd go without to meet his obligations if he is isn't helping with our dd either. That being said, during periods when he was out of work, I always paid for plane tickets for his sons visits. I never allowed a visit to be missed even if I didn't pay every month of his cs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Children are the responsibilities of their parents, I am surprised at how many persons are married to men who had children they couldn't support.

Quoting braezmommy89:

Quoting newwife1:

Married to DH and Mom to our darling daughter and son.

braezmommy89
by on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:40 PM
&&& when you marry a man with children you become a stepparent? No?

Im not saying the stepparent should fully support the step child(ren) but i dont think its horrible to help. That child has become apart of you when you married their father...

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Children are the responsibilities of their parents, I am surprised at how many persons are married to men who had children they couldn't support.

Quoting braezmommy89:

Quoting newwife1:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 22, 2012 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You become his wife and a stepparent to his children, yes. I don't think it is horrible to help, however if your help isn't needed, it just isn't. My SS didn't become a part of me when I married his Dad, he remained the child of BM and DH.

Quoting braezmommy89:

&&& when you marry a man with children you become a stepparent? No?

Im not saying the stepparent should fully support the step child(ren) but i dont think its horrible to help. That child has become apart of you when you married their father...

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Quoting braezmommy89:

Quoting newwife1:

Married to DH and Mom to our darling daughter and son.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN