Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Curious...CS

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM
  • 16 Replies

Ok, so I'm curious.  In all these CS posts, reading through the comments, most responses about whether or not CS is fair is based on a CP/NCP situation.

I'm not completely against CS, but I do believe that my DH's partcular case is unfair because his situation is 50/50 and he pays $400 a month, plus keeps insurance, plus 60% of uncovered medical expenses plus provide everything they need at his house (shoes, coats, cloths, food, toys, etc) plus help pay for EC (with my favorite little sentence "if financially able").

What are your thoughts and opinions on a 50/50 situation (not necessarily my DH's, it's just an example)?

Nobody needs to be hateful.

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 9:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM
3 moms liked this
I think there should be no CS if there is 50/50 custody.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM

No CS, if it is 50/50.

andie646c
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:30 PM

In all cases in my state there is one parent that is set as the primary custodial parent. This just means the parent with "more" legal rights (the one that is able to establish the primary residence of the child and thus, the school district they are in, etc.)

I suppose visitation could amount to 50/50. Since CS is primarily meant to keep a child in a similar living situation to that they would have enjoyed had their parents not split up then I feel it is probably fair for one parent to pay the other IF they make substantially more than the other.

Example: If BM makes $17,000 a year while BF makes $80,000 a year ... then the child is going from a "minimum wage" house to a "upper class" house. The inconsistencies in opportunities available for them half of their life seems as if it could cause some issues for the child. Seeing mom struggle to keep food on the table while dad is able to buy jet skis might cause some resentment and dislike all on it's own. CS, in this case, would help bring the BM up a little to provide more opportunities for their child and keep them from such drastic change (they are already having to go back and forth, why force more on them?)

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:31 PM

I feel that if custody is 50/50, then each parent needs to provide for their own home. There should be no CS and insurance should be kept by whoever can get it the cheapest. Out-of-pocket I'm not sure about...I want to say whoever isn't keeping insurance should pay it. ECs should be split.

Mommy0505
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:32 PM

NOT CONSIDERING DIVORCE ~  50/50 = no child support.  If both spend the same amount of time caring for child then just split the other necesseties (medical/dental) down the middle and call it even!

DH has this and it is very fair.  I tried this with DS's BF and he screwed himself. He stopped helping with diapers and paying 1/2 of daycare so I had to go on assistance which meant the state automatically went after him for support.

DIVORCE ~  I can see the issues here if a couple worked together to build a specific "lifestyle" and then split... it DOES sound fair that the child could expect the same standard of living at both homes so the one making more would compensate with cs regardless of it being 50/50. 

angelmommy2806
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM
With 50/50 I see no need for Cs. Each house should take care of their own and things like insurance and such should be split.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:51 PM

I agree, that with divorce standard of living of the child should be considered.

Quoting Mommy0505:

NOT CONSIDERING DIVORCE ~  50/50 = no child support.  If both spend the same amount of time caring for child then just split the other necesseties (medical/dental) down the middle and call it even!

DH has this and it is very fair.  I tried this with DS's BF and he screwed himself. He stopped helping with diapers and paying 1/2 of daycare so I had to go on assistance which meant the state automatically went after him for support.

DIVORCE ~  I can see the issues here if a couple worked together to build a specific "lifestyle" and then split... it DOES sound fair that the child could expect the same standard of living at both homes so the one making more would compensate with cs regardless of it being 50/50. 

Married to DH and Mom to our darling daughter and son.

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:51 AM
Usually ther is no cs in 50-50 split but depends on how much more dh makes than bm. Did she work at all while they were married?
Skittles5
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Yeah she worked except when she was put on bed rest for her last pregnancy. She quite her job the day before filing and doesn't work now, but the courts figured her income based on her last job.

Quoting zannahdeux:

Usually ther is no cs in 50-50 split but depends on how much more dh makes than bm. Did she work at all while they were married?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:04 AM
Quoting Skittles5:

Interesting...unless dh makes much more I am not sure why it was awarded.....
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)