Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

encopresis help

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

so...I've posted about this before, but I am stressed to my limit today.  I cam home to find 10 yo SS, who is in the 4th grade, is back to peeing and pooping his pants again; 2 poop accidents today alone:(  He has encopresis, and it was under control for a while, but is obvioulsy no longer under control.  Of course SS denies everything or just sits in it until someone points it out.  My SO doesn't like to talk about it, and typically refuses to talk about it.  I just can't ignore it any more, literally, the smell is horiffic.  SS is seeing a therapist, but he hasn't been to the GI in a while.  Is it wrong of me to want SO take take him back to the GI doctor since he has been having "accidents" again.  Is it wrong of me to want SO to talk with his teacher to see if everything is okay at school or to talk with bio-mom to see if there have been any changes?  It's kinda hard to ignore the situation when you can smell and see it, regardless of how removed I am from being a caretaker to SS.  What would you do?  Any one else have a SS or SD with encopresis.  Help!!!

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
chanizen
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:17 PM
3 moms liked this
Yes, talk to a doctor. Yes, make sure that the child is getting enough fiber and has the muscle tone to control their bowels.

Is the child on a bowel schedule? As in.... Before school, sit and poop. After school sit and poop. 20 minutes or until he has gone.

Some kids do not have the sensation nor muscle control to manage their bowels.

Getting checked for food allergies, constipation / vitamin deficiencies and muscle tone may help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mconnoll
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:24 PM

SS was diagnosed with encopresis about 18 months ago. The doctor recommended he take miralax every day and eat at least 14g of fiber daily, which he does here, but BM refuses to give meds or fiber and refuses to acknowledge the situation(we know he has "accidents" there too because he tells us he does).  The reason I am so upset today, is because BD seems to be "checked out" of the problem now too.  I feel so terrible for SS:(  and there is nothing I can do.

angelmommy2806
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 10:55 PM
If he's not taking care of his child someone needs to be notified. Is there a relative you could talk to that could talk to your So? He can't just block it out and let him suffer like that, not only is it morally wrong it's neglect.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mconnoll
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:04 PM

I know:(  I just don't get it.

Aidans_Mom915
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:14 PM

My BS is 9 and has it.  He has ADHD and Aspergers.  We have to give him Miralax and make sure he drinks plenty of clear fluids.  It also helps to reward him for dry/clean undies; we give my son a piece of his fave candy - Reese Cups the little ones

mconnoll
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:28 PM

hmmmm....maybe we can try the candy reward! SS loves candy! 

vintagebikegirl
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:04 AM
Sorry you have to deal with that and poor SS :(

My BFFs daughter has a similar problem, but with her bladder. She is on meds for it and when she started having accidents again it turned out she just needed a med increase. She had "out grown" her meds and needed a higher dose. It is deff worth a trip to the dr ASAP.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Gwen
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:29 AM
Yes, SS5 and SD4 poop and hide it all around the house. They used to smear it all over the walls, carpet, furniture etc. so I like to think this is progress. It has taken a lot of therapy and will take a lot more but we've gone many months without incident until recently. The skids recently spent a week with BM out of state after a 2 year absence followed by 8mos of EOWE visits in town at her moms house here in town. That's what restarted the encopresis. The GI and therapist say that's to be expected and it may take many years to get to a point without relapse. We are told to just stick to the therapy and keep being the constant in their lives.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilangilyn
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 7:59 AM

My DD had it up through kindergarten. I had to add the Metamucil fiber cookies religiously to her diet every day. It helped her, cured her actually.

The fact that he sits in it without cleaning up after himself at age 10, is bothersome to me. That sounds more like a behavioural or emotional issue. I know when it would happen to my DD she was always embarrassed and would either try to clean herself or come to me immediate for help. There was no sitting around in it.

I never needed any kind of permission from bios to take SS to the doctor. Do you think you could take this kid back to the GI doctor? Again, the fact that he sits in it until someone points it out is troubling. Therapy would help that. Especially narrative therapy.

paladinmom
by on Apr. 26, 2012 at 8:32 AM

It is perfectly fine for you to speak to your SO about SS seeing the GI again; school and BM as well.  It is not out of his rights for him to ask these questions out of concern for his son.  

Ignoring the situation is a form of neglect because nothing is being done about the medical issue.  My SS went through a bout of this - more by choice than it being a medical issue.  It took wearing a pull up for an entire day (at age 7) and cleaning every pair of underwear he had (DH had him use a bucket and gloves outside) to get SS to understand that laziness wasn't an option.

However, in your stich - someone needs to ask questions, make an appointment, and see what is going on so that SS can get the help he needs in order to conquer this bout that he is currently going through.

Best of luck to you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)