Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

SM's with bio kids - I need your help!! ETA

Posted by   + Show Post

DH and I have been together since SS was 2 and SD was 9 months old. SS and SD have always called me "Meggy." (My name is Megan.) Anyway, DD was born when SS was 3 and SD was 2 months away from turning 2.

SS calls me Megan now, but SD calls me Meggy still.

Anyway, the point is, DD calls me Meggy now too!! DH and I have made a point to always say stress to her that I am mommy, obviously, but she hears SS and SD calling me Meggy so she does too! SS and SD make sure when they are talking to her about me they say "go get Mommy" and always call to me as Mommy when and only when they talk to her. They know she should call me Mommy.

I know it shouldn't... But it makes me feel like crap and hurts my feelings so bad. I know she's not intentionally doing it to hurt me - but still.

Any ideas on how to make her start calling me Mommy and not Meggy?

ETA- When SS and SD's mom picks them up and they tell her bye, she'll stand at the door and go "Bye, Mommy!" So for those who don't understand why... That's why.

And- it's not like it's just a phase for her - She thinks that's what she is supposed to call me. DH and I have been correcting her for 6 months... It's not having an impact at all. :(

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 7:19 PM
Replies (11-15):
wife_to_eric
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:44 AM
1 mom liked this
Both of my DD's would call DH by his first name and call me sis, not because of SD but because that's what the people around us called us. We tried correcting them but I don't think they really understood what their doing, what ended up working for us was having everyone call us daddy and mommy, I started calling DH daddy, my mom would always tell them " look at mommy" or "daddy's here" when he would walk in to pick them up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mamaofficer
by Bronze Member on May. 1, 2012 at 6:56 AM
Your daughter will call you what the other children call you. She will call BM mommy, because she hear the other kids say it. Believe me she will learn that your name is mama, and BM name is not mama.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2cheesebug
by on May. 1, 2012 at 7:11 AM

Im sorry, i have the opposite problem. lol. My SS is 7, SD is 5 and my DD is 20 months. She is on the mommy kick and even has her half sibling calling me mommy on accident, and then when i correct them they just say "whatever, you know what i mean".

She will grow out of this with time, you have to remember its hard for her to get the concept that brother and sister can call you one thing and she has to call you another, same as their mom. Just keep correcting her and with time this will pass.

KCayea
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:01 AM

my kids called my sister mommy when her cousins were around, and my neice called my mommy when all the kids were together too. she dosent know any better, all you can do is keep correcting her

HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:07 AM
My son called me by my first name until he was 21 months old - he said 'hi mom!' To me for the first time when I was on the way to the hospital in labor with his sister. There were no step children in the picture - it was just what he heard me called. Lots of kids do this. Its not unique to step families.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)