Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

UPDATED....thoughts...

Posted by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:58 AM
  • 69 Replies
2 moms liked this
I entered this marriage with no idea of all the emotionI entered this marriage with no idea of all the emotions and situations I will be facing or dealing with.
Some of this, I have dificulty dealing with and resulted to my anxiety and panic attacks.and I try my best to avoid it.
I have learned not to have expectations anymore. the only expectation I demand is respect. It became easier to deal with the complexities of stepfamily if you have low expectations. I stop beating myself because I couldnt love my stepkids the way I love my own kids and just let it go. It made it easier to interact with my stepkids, I dont feel forced to show fake fondness. Our relationship isnt the same as my relationship with my own kids but it doesnt mean I dont love or care for them, after all they are the kids of the man I fell inlove with. I decided to let time do its job in binding our hearts and let the relationship bloom on its own.
Unfortunately my husband expects me to love them as my own biokids. And because I couldnt, accuses me of hating them. I do not hate my stepkids, but its wrong to force love. I dont expect my stepkids to love me as much as they love their real parents. seems like my husband wants us to live like an intact, nuclear family but stepfamily dynamics is way way more different than an intact one. I feel awful now, like I was an evil stepmother, a selfish person.

UPDATE:
Hes playing mind game.. He brought out a big bag, I thought he was moving out..im thinking..ok as soon as he leaves, ill file for custody of our babies. But it turned out to be old baby clothes.. Yeah.. He put them on a travelling bag and left in front of the door, waited few hours before saying these are old baby clothes. Then helping to cook while im feeding the baby, and try to start conversation but its strained.even bought my fave dunkin donuts and ice cream.. But he avoid talking about the problem, no explanation, no apologies. I do the normal thing I do everyday and try to keep my normal cheerful self.then last night sd12 text him asking if she can bring friend for sleepover, I dont really mind but you know whos gonna take care of them, the evil stepmother while daddy hang out with creepy neighbor outside..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 2, 2012 at 7:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2bkayleesmommy
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My SO tells me I hate his daughter cuz I sometimes yell...but I don't yell @ her I yell @ the girls (mine and his) like, "get out of the room!" Keep in mind I've told them nicely 5x before!! They like to jump on my bed, and will fall out the window that is right @ the side of the bed. I ignore him or say, "if u want me to treat her just like my daughter, ur not gonna like it, cuz kaylee (my dd) is disciplined a lot harder then u, well ur lack of" and he will cut it out. It's all or nothing he doesn't get to choose what it treated as my bio or step! So tell him! Exactly wut u told us
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelmommy2806
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:12 AM
1 mom liked this
You are not evil. Your Dh's expectations are not great. At least you do not resent them. Your husband cannot force you to love them and he should be happy that you're not living in complete chaos.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
findingserenity
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:17 AM
Tried telling him but he walk away.refuses to talk to me.

Quoting 2bkayleesmommy:

My SO tells me I hate his daughter cuz I sometimes yell...but I don't yell @ her I yell @ the girls (mine and his) like, "get out of the room!" Keep in mind I've told them nicely 5x before!! They like to jump on my bed, and will fall out the window that is right @ the side of the bed. I ignore him or say, "if u want me to treat her just like my daughter, ur not gonna like it, cuz kaylee (my dd) is disciplined a lot harder then u, well ur lack of" and he will cut it out. It's all or nothing he doesn't get to choose what it treated as my bio or step! So tell him! Exactly wut u told us

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
findingserenity
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:26 AM
His adopted daughter doesnt like me, shes already an adult when I came into her life and most of the tine we are together, she tries to make me uncomfortable, wont recognize me when she comes visit, talks endlessly to daddy about her mommy especially when im around. Wont talk to me, I tried to talk to her but she paid no attention or show disinterest. the most she will say is she willhave my kids when I die and daddy. I feel lime shes trying to make me feel an outsider in my own home so I simply disengaged.and husband says she is a bitch but she loves me.. and I told him, that isnt how I see or feel so I just chill and stay out of her way, unless it involves my kids. And now, husband hates me.i will not force a relationship with someone who doesnt want it.

Quoting angelmommy2806:

You are not evil. Your Dh's expectations are not great. At least you do not resent them. Your husband cannot force you to love them and he should be happy that you're not living in complete chaos.

If he continues to push me, im afraid I will really resent them and this marriage.His adopted daughter doesnt like me, shes already an adult when I came into her life and most of the tine we are together, she tries to make me uncomfortable, wont recognize me when she comes visit, talks endlessly to daddy about her mommy especially when im around. Wont talk to me, I tried to talk to her but she paid no attention or show disinterest. the most she will say is she willhave my kids when I die and daddy. I feel lime shes trying to make me feel an outsider in my own home so I simply disengaged.and husband says she is a bitch but she loves me.. and I told him, that isnt how I see or feel so I just chill and stay out of her way, unless it involves my kids. And now, husband hates me.i will not force a relationship with someone who doesnt want it.

Quoting angelmommy2806:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
newwife1
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

It's not evil to not love someone. It's ridiculous to expect someone to love their child like that. If it happens and you end up loving the kid, then great. If not, as long as you are kind and respectful that is all that matters.

My DH had this problem in the beginning. He would tell me he wants me to love his son. I flat out said to him, "I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same way about your son that you do. I JUST met him a year ago and he hasn't been very nice to be around. I don't have that bond with him, I didn't know him as a cute sweet baby, I am not his parent and will never feel like you do. I care about him as your child and you can't expect more"

He understood it better when I explained it that way to him.

findingserenity
by on May. 2, 2012 at 8:55 AM
Youre lucky..your husband is not narrow minded.but I told him that though I dont love his kids like my own, I take care of them when they visit, respect them and care for them as much as I can because they are the kids of the man I fell inlove.. why cant he accept sd20 and I dont really get along well, shes an adult when ivw met her and for her I stole daddy, so I keep a respectful distance and yes, I dont trust her with my impresionable 2yo son.would you if she keep talking about when you die she will have the kids?probly not.

Quoting newwife1:

It's not evil to not love someone. It's ridiculous to expect someone to love their child like that. If it happens and you end up loving the kid, then great. If not, as long as you are kind and respectful that is all that matters.

My DH had this problem in the beginning. He would tell me he wants me to love his son. I flat out said to him, "I'm sorry, but I don't feel the same way about your son that you do. I JUST met him a year ago and he hasn't been very nice to be around. I don't have that bond with him, I didn't know him as a cute sweet baby, I am not his parent and will never feel like you do. I care about him as your child and you can't expect more"

He understood it better when I explained it that way to him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tarac1012
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Perhaps you could explain that you do really care about his children. My SS was 15 when I came into his life and while I really do love him (it's been almost 9 years now) - it's not the same kind of love I have for my 2 yr old daughter. Before I was a mom - I didn't even understand that I could love her so much more than I'm capable of loving my SS. It's just different. I would recommend telling him that you do love his children. You admit you do - I would avoid the conversation about how MUCH you love them.  It really shouldn't matter as long as you are trying and you aren't being mean to them - and you do care.  As for the adult daughter - I think it's cruel that he allows her to behave that way to you and doesn't correct her.  I think it's wrong that he expects you to sit there and take that type of abuse.  He's supposed to be there for you and he shouldn't allow her to behave that way. It's disrespectful. Maybe if he thought a little more about that - he would be a little more understanding about the way you feel about his children.  Stay strong and don't let yourself be abused.

MakesPrtyBabies
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:04 AM
I am sorry you are dealing with this. My new husband and I have this problem too. He has gottent upset when I refer to his kids as "his" kids, and wants all five to be " the" kids. He doesn't think I like his kids, and its almost gotten to resentment because I feel the need to be so fake around them because I don't love them like he wants, and so he assumes I hate them. We've talked about counceling, although he hasn't called yet....is that something your DH is open to?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:05 AM

the most she will say is she will have my kids when I die and daddy.

DH's SD11 keeps saying how DD8's Daddy is gonna take her away from us and we'll never have to see her again. Where this came from I'll never know-esp after DH and I have both told her many times that neither SS OR DD will be leaving this house against their will. DH told her if anything were to happen to me HE would be keeping DD-even though he's not her bio dad. SD11 wasn't too happy about that answer.

Your SD's delusional living in her own world. Seriously. I'd avoid her. YOu don't HAVE to love his kids. Don't put yourself down over it. Really. If he wants to make you feel like shit then HE"S the asshole for forcing you to love his kids.

My DH told me the same thing-how I ignore his SD and keep her uninvolved with our activities. yep I do ignore her-because of her behavior and the way she treats me and the other kids-why would I want to be around her?!

MakesPrtyBabies
by Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM
I agree, he needs to stand up for you. Stepdaughter or not, I would not allow someone to speak to me like that in my home. They can visit else where.

Quoting Tarac1012:

Perhaps you could explain that you do really care about his children. My SS was 15 when I came into his life and while I really do love him (it's been almost 9 years now) - it's not the same kind of love I have for my 2 yr old daughter. Before I was a mom - I didn't even understand that I could love her so much more than I'm capable of loving my SS. It's just different. I would recommend telling him that you do love his children. You admit you do - I would avoid the conversation about how MUCH you love them.  It really shouldn't matter as long as you are trying and you aren't being mean to them - and you do care.  As for the adult daughter - I think it's cruel that he allows her to behave that way to you and doesn't correct her.  I think it's wrong that he expects you to sit there and take that type of abuse.  He's supposed to be there for you and he shouldn't allow her to behave that way. It's disrespectful. Maybe if he thought a little more about that - he would be a little more understanding about the way you feel about his children.  Stay strong and don't let yourself be abused.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)