Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

lice

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

ok so im the sm to three two girls ages 10 and 5, and a boy age 3. we have the 5 and and 3 year olds full time but only have the 10 year old on the weekends. i will call them kid 1(age 10) kid 2(age 5) and kid 3(age 3).

kid 1 is the bm's from a earlier relationship, ok so we got custody of kid 2 and kid 3 because bm's house was nasty( bugs, food left out, drain cleaner left in the shower) we could not get kid 1 because she is not his.

now the story, kid 1 has been kicked out of school 3 times this year for lice, i treated kid 1 all 3 times, i treated myself their dad and all 3 kids, and got tea tree shampoo, kid 1 just got kicked out again, i dont want her to bring the lice in my home, so their dad called bm and said we would not watch her until she was lice free. i dont think bm is treating herself and all three times bm had kid 1 spray down her house. (bm hates me)

i love all 3 kids what should i do, and did i do the right thing?

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelmommy2806
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Bm needs to know how to deal with that on her own. I'm surprised she hasn't been investigated because of it being recurring. It isn't your responsibility and if she was bringing it into Your home I'd have said the same thing.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KellyReedy
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:25 PM

When my SD got it, every time she went back to her BM's, she'd come home with it!  But with the way she cleans...or doesn't...it was no wonder it kept reinfesting.

Me and my husband both would use the comb and spend hours going thru after shampooing it w/ the stuff.  Ugh yuck!

Blend in!

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:30 PM

we go thru this with DH's SD11-BM was sending the skids to her exes house (he's the father to her youngest daughter) and his sister's got lice BAD-she refuses to treat herself and Douche Bag never told BM about it til weeks later when the girls got infected.

After the 5th time-BM finally threatened DYFS (cps) on his ass and kept the kids from him and his family for 2 months until he finally cleaned the house and his sister treated herself.

Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasty. You did the right thing. I agree with Angel-I'm surprised CPS isn't involved.

my6kids4ever
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

Hello,

First I would like to say that I am NOT a step mom but I do have 6 children and have delt with lice. I am not sure if you relized this or not but having lice or dealing with lice DOES NOT mean your nasty or neglectful of your children. However NOT taking care of the problem is neglectful. To the step mom that doesnt want them in her house because of the lice. Stop Right there and think about the kids and how it makes THEM feel. Its NOt their fault that they got it and they are not bad kids or dirty lol infact its the oppersite *SW* haveing lice actualy means that you are pretty clean. I do have a solution to the lice problem. VEGITABLE OIL. put it in their hair and leave on for anytime from 10 min to 12 hours ...your choice. The oil will suffacate them and makes it SOOOO MUCH EASIER to get the lil PIA's out.  repete as nessacary. make sure you wash their hair out I reccomend you wash twice WITH OUT conditionor. Your childrens hair will be greesy at first but will only last maybe a day or two.  also depending on your state laws according to the department of education they are no longer makeing the students come home after being infected. It interfeers with their education.

Good luck with the PIA'S and I hope that it all works out for you and the kids :)

weirdkids
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 3:44 AM

you would think that cps would be looking into it. just my opinion. my daughter came home from school once with lice. we got lucky. they hadnt laid eggs yet so it was pretty simple. did the whole shampoo thing. she hated it so much that she made me promise that if it ever happened again that i would just shave her head. lol

my6kids4ever
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:45 AM

YOu would think they would yes but they cant because everyone gets them and they do not carry diseases or cause health problems.

neverbeamom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Not everyone gets it.  I've never had lice once in my entire life.  My mom was a NEAT FREAK (she has OCD).  My brothers never had it either.

Quoting my6kids4ever:

YOu would think they would yes but they cant because everyone gets them and they do not carry diseases or cause health problems.

anabama
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:42 AM

We had a problem with sd bringing lice to our house before we got custody of her. We didn't stop her visits. When she came over I immediately covered her head in hair mayonaise and a shower cap. The next morning I would give her a shower and we didn't have to worry about the lice spreading. The mayo kills the lice and the eggs. It works better and is much safer than the chemicals and you can just shampoo her hair instead of having to do all that combing. We had to do this eowe for months.

Kholt
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:18 PM

might i add that since its CLEAN heads that get lice we found our best prevention to be let them use hair products. Gel or hair spray actually prevents lice. (makes hair harder to hold on to for the little creatures  same as dirty head) i started teaching my girls (very long hair) to braid hair and spray it. we havent gotten it back  which leaves me able to not wear hair products (i dont like them)  but girls love it.

Quoting my6kids4ever:

Hello,

First I would like to say that I am NOT a step mom but I do have 6 children and have delt with lice. I am not sure if you relized this or not but having lice or dealing with lice DOES NOT mean your nasty or neglectful of your children. However NOT taking care of the problem is neglectful. To the step mom that doesnt want them in her house because of the lice. Stop Right there and think about the kids and how it makes THEM feel. Its NOt their fault that they got it and they are not bad kids or dirty lol infact its the oppersite *SW* haveing lice actualy means that you are pretty clean. I do have a solution to the lice problem. VEGITABLE OIL. put it in their hair and leave on for anytime from 10 min to 12 hours ...your choice. The oil will suffacate them and makes it SOOOO MUCH EASIER to get the lil PIA's out.  repete as nessacary. make sure you wash their hair out I reccomend you wash twice WITH OUT conditionor. Your childrens hair will be greesy at first but will only last maybe a day or two.  also depending on your state laws according to the department of education they are no longer makeing the students come home after being infected. It interfeers with their education.

Good luck with the PIA'S and I hope that it all works out for you and the kids :)

my6kids4ever
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:32 PM

YEs the hair products do work . and maybe safer then the lice killing shampoos. As far as being OCD and NEVER having lice, trust me being OCD DOES NOT prevent you from getting lice. My husband and 3 of my 6 kids are all OCD but they got them anyway. At some point in life everyone gets them, .

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)