Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Help! Moms of teenagers!

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:48 AM
  • 15 Replies
I'm mobile so I'm sorry if this isn't error free but I need advice!
Sd is almost 16. Her and her bf broke up, a few of her friends are mad at her, and she has been crying for three days! She wouldn't go to school today and I have no clue how to help her. I don't know what to say. I woke up this morning and she was in bed with me, says she had a bad dream. (dh was already at work) I have raised this girl, fil time from age 5 but the teenage hormones are new for me. I can handle her mad but I don't know what to do about this. Any advice is welcome! Thanks mamas!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 4, 2012 at 8:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angelmommy2806
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:03 AM
Let her talk it out. When SD15 has a break up we have a pity party. I get ice cream, chocolate, and movies and kick the boys out for a while.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ms.Gwen
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM
I don't parent a teen but that's what I do when my female friends are broken hearted. Break out the 'bridget jones diary' and a pint of ice cream. You'll have her giggling in no time!

Quoting angelmommy2806:

Let her talk it out. When SD15 has a break up we have a pity party. I get ice cream, chocolate, and movies and kick the boys out for a while.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonw79
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:15 AM
She keeps asking question like, why does it hurt so bad? When does it stop? Those are questions I can't answer. She wants to know why he treated her like that and I'm pretty sure that "because he is a douche bag" was an incorrect answer. Out was soooo much easier when they were little...

Quoting angelmommy2806:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angelmommy2806
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Tell her with time it will get better, the hurt will stop. Honestly when SD asks why I tell her cause he's a stupid teenage boy and he doesn't know he's lost the best thing that happened to him. Her self esteem is low so help her boost it. Maybe some retail therapy this weekend.

Quoting shannonw79:

She keeps asking question like, why does it hurt so bad? When does it stop? Those are questions I can't answer. She wants to know why he treated her like that and I'm pretty sure that "because he is a douche bag" was an incorrect answer. Out was soooo much easier when they were little...

Quoting angelmommy2806:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on May. 4, 2012 at 9:59 AM

If he treated her like crap, I think "Because he's a douchebag" is a good enough explanation for it.  She might even laugh and agree with you. lol

Quoting shannonw79:

Quoting angelmommy2806:

Kholt
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

it hurts so bad cuz we learn easier from things that are painful so from this pain she will learn to be more selective about which boys she gives her heart to and will be prepared when a real man comes along. She will learn from this that he should prove he is worthy of her before she gives him her heart. and when it stops is her decision. When she decides she is more valuable than the way he treated her and is done giving him the ability to hurt her. She will harden herself a bit and realize he isnt worth her tears.

thats what i told my DD's and my little sister (age 16)

so if it fits for you feel free to use it. its also what i tell my friends and MYSELF.

Quoting shannonw79:

Quoting angelmommy2806:

rwblake2011
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Quoting angelmommy2806:

This is my best suggestion. And let her vent it all out.  My daughter usually crys and then gets mad and I have to keep her from kicking new ex's behind and shes only 14.

braezmommy89
by on May. 4, 2012 at 12:11 PM
Idk about the other moms but I like the "because he is a douche bag" answer lol Shes 16 mamma buy some ice cream, get some magazines, watch some movies.. have a "NO boys allowed (that includes dh, sorry dad lol) time"?

My sd is 14 and while I dont agree with her dating at her age specially with all the trouble shes been into already with boys, i dont have the final say.. So when situations like this arise, i just let her vent and try to explain things the way id want them explained to me, kwim? Poking fun at dad always works to haha idk why but they get a kick out of me, telling df hes not a girl he just doesnt understand and to go away..... leave the credit card on the table and no body gets hurt haha

Good Luck mamma!! Kuddos to you for raising your sd to btw.... I dont think a lot of sm get the praise they deserve and you most certaintly deserve it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:23 PM

no i think that WAS the correct answer. It hurts because she is a caring person and broken hearts hurt...better to have love and lost than never to have loved at all...get her the break up book "Its you, it's not me" it will make her laugh and help her out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/188716684X/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

If she still wont go to school then you need to find her a therapist. Because her parents are divorced and sounds like mom is not in the picture she may have very strong abandoment issues.

Quoting shannonw79:

Quoting angelmommy2806:

shannonw79
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:54 PM
Thanks for this. These are the words I couldn't come up with.

Quoting Kholt:

it hurts so bad cuz we learn easier from things that are painful so from this pain she will learn to be more selective about which boys she gives her heart to and will be prepared when a real man comes along. She will learn from this that he should prove he is worthy of her before she gives him her heart. and when it stops is her decision. When she decides she is more valuable than the way he treated her and is done giving him the ability to hurt her. She will harden herself a bit and realize he isnt worth her tears.

thats what i told my DD's and my little sister (age 16)

so if it fits for you feel free to use it. its also what i tell my friends and MYSELF.

Quoting shannonw79:

Quoting angelmommy2806:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN