Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Another Question :)

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
  • 22 Replies
Can DH be ordered to pay half of childcare on top of CS? He offered to watch SD while BM is working but she refuses and says he has to pay half.
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:04 AM

Depends on your state, how much he makes and possibly how much she makes.

Look up the CS laws and guidelines for your state to check.

rwblake2011
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:12 AM
Yes that can be co for him to do, but I think they would take into consideration he offered to care for child instead and that can be co as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CherryBlossom4
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:25 AM

Court can order anything to be done. 

I'd just have DH tell the judge that he is willing to watch the child to avoid any unnecessary cost from him OR BM. I am sure they wil take that into consideration. 

ShannaBee
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:26 AM
In my state it cannot. Depends on the state.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cc77
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:59 AM

I would look at you court order.  DH pays child support and it specifies what else. For him it is just 1/2 of all medical and he has to keep medical ins and life ins..

Otherwise everything else is custodial parents responsibility.

My CO's are the same.  Ex pays CS and 1/2 of medical and keep ins.  Everything else is mine to pay:)

What does his CO say about what your DH is responsible for?

If it doesn't say that he has to pay 1/2 then I wouldn't.

pseudomamma
by Bronze Member on May. 4, 2012 at 12:59 PM

In my state, daycare charges are used to calculate child support.  The parent that pays it gets a credit and OP has to pay more.  I believe it's based on the percentage each parent has to pay.

However, I think DH should make sure the court knows he has made the offer and she refuses.  IMHO, it makes her look both for withholding potential parenting time and it makes her look like she's in it for the money.

Sunnysdmom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:49 PM
Yes. In most states. Be prepared to also have to pay for half of medical co-pays too even if he is ordered to pay medical insurance for kids. I personally think it is ridiculous. All of this should come out of child support. The majority custodial parents has a responsibility to pick up their percentage. The one already paying shouldn't be responsible.
Sunnysdmom
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:51 PM
See if the judge can write in the order "first right of refusal." Just remember that it works both ways though.
DDDaysh
by on May. 4, 2012 at 5:02 PM

What state? 

What hours is she working? 

How close do you live? 

Is it actually BF who will be providing child care or someone else? 

How old is the child, is it just daycare or preschool? 

Sonya_sue
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:27 PM

Quoting DDDaysh:

What state? 

What hours is she working? 

How close do you live? 

Is it actually BF who will be providing child care or someone else? 

How old is the child, is it just daycare or preschool? 

We live in Kentucky, she works from 7:30am-4:30pm, lives 5- 10 mins away depending on traffic. BF would be providing child care...he just got laid so currently no job and he figured might as well make himself useful and spend more time with his kid. SD is 8 and its not actually a daycare..its a summer camp thats from 6am-6pm. BM says shes enrolling her so she doesnt have to worry about a baby sitter yet she wont let DH watch her. I personally think she's trying to get back at him because he couldnt help out with softball this month..he pays CS but we cant find a copy of the court order. DH has an appointment with his lawyer in 2 weeks to see what we can do. None of this would be a problem is he was still working! But crap happens =/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)