Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central
Can DH be ordered to pay half of childcare on top of CS? He offered to watch SD while BM is working but she refuses and says he has to pay half.
by on May. 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM
Replies (11-20):
packermomof2
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Sonya_sue:
BF would be providing child care...he just got laid... I don't know what this has to do with childcare :)

Sonya_sue
by on May. 4, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Oops! I ment to say laid off! LOL Sorry!

Quoting packermomof2:

Quoting Sonya_sue:
BF would be providing child care...he just got laid... I don't know what this has to do with childcare :)

DDDaysh
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:32 PM

So, he's planning to just forgo his job search for the entire summer?  

Quoting Sonya_sue:

Quoting DDDaysh:

What state? 

What hours is she working? 

How close do you live? 

Is it actually BF who will be providing child care or someone else? 

How old is the child, is it just daycare or preschool? 

We live in Kentucky, she works from 7:30am-4:30pm, lives 5- 10 mins away depending on traffic. BF would be providing child care...he just got laid so currently no job and he figured might as well make himself useful and spend more time with his kid. SD is 8 and its not actually a daycare..its a summer camp thats from 6am-6pm. BM says shes enrolling her so she doesnt have to worry about a baby sitter yet she wont let DH watch her. I personally think she's trying to get back at him because he couldnt help out with softball this month..he pays CS but we cant find a copy of the court order. DH has an appointment with his lawyer in 2 weeks to see what we can do. None of this would be a problem is he was still working! But crap happens =/

Sonya_sue
by on May. 4, 2012 at 9:52 PM
Quoting DDDaysh:

No, if he can find a job then he will work. The summer camp doesn't have a deadline, he'd sign her up if BM doesn't want me watching her. Just seems like she'd be happy that it's saving them both money and also giving him more time with her. But if the judge says that DH must pay then I guess he'll have no other choice. Just stinks that she wants to be difficult after 8 years of working together.
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 10:31 PM
This.

Your CO should include ROFR.

If dad is willing to watch kid, then that's what should happen and there shouldn't be any daycare costs.

Quoting CherryBlossom4:

Court can order anything to be done. 

I'd just have DH tell the judge that he is willing to watch the child to avoid any unnecessary cost from him OR BM. I am sure they wil take that into consideration. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:30 PM

Summer camps generally fill up, and if he's looking for jobs he'll have interviews and things like that.  It's not unreasonable for Mom to want to have solid reliable child care lined up for the summer.  It's very stressful to have to find it at the last minute.  

If she's 8 and BM has always been working though, it seems odd that the order wouldn't already address child care.   

Quoting Sonya_sue:

Quoting DDDaysh:

No, if he can find a job then he will work. The summer camp doesn't have a deadline, he'd sign her up if BM doesn't want me watching her. Just seems like she'd be happy that it's saving them both money and also giving him more time with her. But if the judge says that DH must pay then I guess he'll have no other choice. Just stinks that she wants to be difficult after 8 years of working together.

DDDaysh
by on May. 4, 2012 at 11:39 PM

http://chfs.ky.gov/dis/cse.htm  In Kentucky, child care costs are put into the formula.  Do you know if your husban's case included those costs to begin with?  There's an estimator on here you can use that will probably tell you.  

Has he applied for a reduction for being out of work?  

mirm99
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:49 AM
Depends.... w dh and bm I offered to watch the baby since I stay home and the judge didn't make him pay extra since I could watch the baby anytime.. the judge said that there's no reason for sd to be at a childcare when she could stay w family for free..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chanizen
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:53 AM
Yes. If cs is calculated without consideration for childcare.

My ex is mandated to pay for chicldcare and medical care (half) as they are not included in cs. I might not choose to have bf watch her if that was not convenient or if he was inconsistent.

I definitely would not rely on bf for childcare if I thought he would use it as a weapon to take custody or to control my life (by refusing to do it when he got mad and thus threatening my income as I would have to take time off from work).
packermomof2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Quoting chanizen:

Yes. If cs is calculated without consideration for childcare.

My ex is mandated to pay for chicldcare and medical care (half) as they are not included in cs. I might not choose to have bf watch her if that was not convenient or if he was inconsistent.

I definitely would not rely on bf for childcare if I thought he would use it as a weapon to take custody or to control my life (by refusing to do it when he got mad and thus threatening my income as I would have to take time off from work).

I agree with this.

My ex tried to get it ordered that I only use his parents as babysitters when I had to work (this was years ago).  Thankfully, no one agreed that was reasonable based on a few factors, one being that his parents had already had to be told to stay out of the custody battle (they were realllly involved) and to let their son figure out how to parent without them (that was funny to me)...  It was something they wanted because they weren't nice people, not because they actually were trying to save money somewhere (seriously, ex never paid for anything above CS anyway even though he could, he just didnt' feel it was his responsbility so much as it was mine and my husbands (and he has said something to that effect)).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN