Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Rapid weight gain?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM
  • 9 Replies
So, for the past 10 weeks we haven't been able to get ss because SO can't make the p/o and d/o because he is working Friday and Sunday. He took this weekend off for my graduation from nursing school (yay finally!).

** in case this makes a difference he will be 4 in july**
There are just some things I'm concerned about.. BM informed us that he has been having "night terrors" and of course they were blamed on him for not being able to get him. Since her and her ex have split (he was physically abusive to her in front of ss) and now she goes out and leaves him with whoever is available (what kid wouldn't have problems).

Kids do not have a great concept of time, so her blaming SO and saying that it's all his fault is a ploy to make him feel bad.

Also, in this 10 week time period he has gained 10 pounds. This sends up a red flag to me, I know kids go through growth spurts, but 10 pounds in 10 weeks?

Everything in combination just doesn't sit right with me, but of course I'll just get your opinions for my own piece o mind and sit on the back burner :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
looneytunes290
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Has she started him on medication that has weight gain as a side effect?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lilangilyn
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:49 AM

That's a pound a week. Either he is growing like crazy or something is wrong. Does he look flabby, pudgy, or soft. Childred at four should be firm with a little hard belly. Some have no belly. Some have a little body fat still in their arms and legs. But they are still firm and muscular underneath.

All the other crap is just stuff you need to learn to ignore. And really night terrors? Those have to be diagnosed by a doctor, they are not just nightmares. There is a difference. So until I would hear from a doctor, I would ignore that as well.

The 10 llbs would bother me. My granddaughter who is 5 is of average build. If she gained 10 pounds that suddenly it would look like someone blew her up with a bicycle pump. I would see it immediately.

LyndaLoo78
by Skeletor on May. 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM
There are a lot of reasons both physical and emotional for weight gain. SS should be checked by his doctor, a full blood panel drawn, and go from there.

If he witnessed physical abuse that may be a fact, the loss of BM's SO in his life, not seeing his own father for a while may also play some role in the weight issue and the night terrors. Night terrors are fairly common between the ages of 2 and 5 according to my pediatrician and can manifest at any time with a variety of triggers. My pediatrician has advised chemical changes in the brain as the chils ages can trigger, as can so many other things, according to my pedi they know very little about night terror triggers because so little is understood about the human brain. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
awallace07
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM
My 4 1/2 year old weighs 49 pounds and she is 44 inches tall (she is big for her age) and she is solid, she does have a little belly. He is about 6 inches shorter than her and 10 weeks ago he weighed 32 pounds and now to weeks later he is at almost 43. He is no longer the little lean child he is pudgy looking everywhere his face, trunk, arms, and legs.

She 'claims' the doctor has diagnosed them, but wants them on video, I personally think he is just acting out because he is use to sleeping with her and now she is out partying all night and he can't. He isnt on any medication.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoochieLibre
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I gained 25# during a 3 month period during the final stages of my marriage. I am a health nut, eating vegan, so low calorie and I worked out all the time. I assumed I had a thyroid condition and had it checked out. No thyroid problem. Almost immediately after my husband left the weight started dropping off. STRESS. 

It sounds like he could be stressed. I would have him checked out medically and if nothing shows up see if you can figure out ways to help him destress.

awallace07
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:05 AM
We have no insurance information or a doctors name to have him checked out. We only have him eowe and because he is working so much we probably won't have him again for months, so there probably isn't much we will be able to do.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
packermomof2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:40 AM

From January to April I had to go clothes shopping for my almost 11 year old.  She has never grown as much so fast in her entire life as she did these past few months.  So growth spurt can be answer.

As can stress.  Seeing abuse is stressful.  Not seeing your parent for 2.5 months can be to some kids also (even if there is no concept of time in the sense that adults do, they can figure out what a long time is sometimes). 

My daughter had night terrors.  I thought they were because of the stress at the time (there was abuse and a divorce all before she was 4).   She didn't eat that much during that time and I worried about it.  But I think that was just her reaction to what was going on in her life.  Everyone handles stress differently.

andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:28 PM

DS had night terrors ... there was no real reason for them. Just a normal "phase" according to his pediatrician and nurses and everyone else around. It was horrible and scary (for the adults, he didn't remember them in the morning). He was maybe 1.5 or 2 at the time?

My son is 3 (he just turned 3 in February), while he doesn't understand what next week is, he does know "tomorrow". He doesn't understand an hour but he does understand it's dark outside. He knows it gets dark, then light, then dark. He knows we have to wait ... and after about a week of not seeing his dad he knows it's been a while and starts asking to call him, talk to him, go see him, etc. 

Is BM not allowing your DH to come see him for a few hours? Does he call on the phone? Talk to him at all? I'm not saying it is his fault but perhaps some interaction with dad would help a bit with some of the problems he is having. Maybe getting on the computer and just doing a Skype session once a week would help, even.

awallace07
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:58 PM
She works days and he works nights, so the schedules don't work out to contact her. He isn't allowed to speak with the baby sitter.

We live an hour away and he doesn't want to drive 2 hours to just see him for a little bit on his only day off work. Usually he catches up on sleep on his day off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)