Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

A Better Quote

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have been wanting to share this quote for a while but I was afraid of getting negative feedback from all the bm's out there. However, after reading the quote that was just posted about stepmoms not having any rights in the family, I think I will survive the comments. I was reading a Nora Roberts book that had nothing to do with stepmothers other than one of the characters falling in love with a guy who had two kids and was left by his former wife who ran off never contacting them again. The new woman was afraid that the kids wouldn't accept her and the daughter said this:

"Biological mothers are here because they have to be. Step mothers are here because they WANT to be."

I really liked this quote because it made me feel really good about being a step mom.

This is not to bash any BMs because I will eventually be a BM one day and it won't be because I have to, it will be because I want to. So I am not trying to bash BMs but just trying to share something that should make all the step moms feel better about the situation they are in. The actual quote says "Real moms are here...." but I changed it because we (stepmoms) are real moms too.

Just thought I'd share....

by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyMadness09
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:21 PM

Just thought I'd add that I wasn't trying to bash the other quote on here by posting this. Although, not sure this was the place to post the other quote...... Maybe in a group like BMs dealing with stepmoms. Just sayin'.

ame4c
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:23 PM

I think that is a silly quote.  I am both BM and SM and I'm both because I wanted to be both.  I can chose not to be a BM if I wanted.  There is a a choice of abortion and adoption these days.  I chose to have my children and raise them.  I also chose to be with my SO, who has children that are very much a part of him making me a step mom.

MommyMadness09
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

EXACTLY why I didn't want to post this before. Sorry that I offended you.

CoochieLibre
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:32 PM

I'm a BM and I don't find the quote offensive, especially given the context of the story. Of course, I am a BM because I want to be... I don't HAVE to. I could easily give the children to their father, but I want to be a mother. :)

packermomof2
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

I didn't have to be a mom anymore than a Sm has to be a SM.

Ms.Gwen
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:02 PM
Bm here proves this quote false. BMs don't 'have' to. They can bail out on their kid at any point in time. BM did when the kids were 18mo, 2, and 6. We had many witnesses at court saying she screamed "I don't want to be mom anymore!" and "I don't have to do anything!" just before she took off for over 2 years.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SassyMom25
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Its definitely an interesting quote. Not offended by it at all, but you can definitely tell this was said in context to the situation in the story. It applies to some and doesn't to others. Unfortunately, there are so many variables to each situation; parents deciding not to be parents anymore; stepparents finding out about children after getting married, etc.

angelmommy2806
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:50 PM
I like this because a biological mother Should be there. Biological and step mother's both have the choice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shavonk
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:59 PM
I think its a beautiful quote. I'm a BM & SM and didn't find anything wrong with it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jessiesluv
by on May. 6, 2012 at 4:24 PM

Some bms arent even there when they should be, just sayin. lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN