Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

If your DH- lost his income and owed BM CS, do you think he should notify her of this before she figures it out or just let her figure it out on her own?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:19 AM
Replies (11-20):
GraceHudson
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:25 AM
bump

angelmommy2806
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:30 AM
He should notify CS enforcement and try and get it lowered until he got another job. DH didn't tell Bm when he lost his job, but he had no idea where she was.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nmaxwell816
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:05 PM

In our state they base it off your last income so that won't do any good.  

Quoting mom2cheesebug:

He should go to the courts and get a court date, ask to have it lowered due to no income. BM will recieve a court date as well to attend the hearing. My SO got his put off until he found a new job, but that was a few years ago, so IDK if thats how it still works or not.

nmaxwell816
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:07 PM

He lost his unemployment so yes..he won't be paying her at all.

Quoting whatIknownow:

He would continue to owe her CS, until he files a motion to change the CS amount. 

by "figure it out on her own" , you mean he is planning to simply stop paying, and you are asking if he should tell her he's not paying or let her figure it out when the check doesn't come?

E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Not his problem!?! Are they not his kids!?! What in the heck does he think CP is for!?!

Quoting nmaxwell816:

I suggested this to DH but he said that it's not his problem.  He's the one who has to deal with consequences of the state not her.  

I know she is going to call and snap on him when she figures it out.  I don't know how often it is given to her?!

Quoting KellyReedy:

I think he should tell her.  Then she can't say she never knew and end up going postal!  Honesty is always best!

stepdiva
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:28 PM
He should tell her.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KellyReedy
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM

If he is required to pay her, he should tell her.  It IS his problem.  Is it not HIS kids?

Quoting nmaxwell816:

I suggested this to DH but he said that it's not his problem.  He's the one who has to deal with consequences of the state not her.  

I know she is going to call and snap on him when she figures it out.  I don't know how often it is given to her?!

Quoting KellyReedy:

I think he should tell her.  Then she can't say she never knew and end up going postal!  Honesty is always best!

OregonMom80
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Double-check what the law is in your state.  In my state, a temporary mod for unemployment is NOT the same as a regular mod and is not based off your last income.  As long as the job loss was involuntary, they will recomputer CS based off the unemployment amount for a certain period of time.  Many states also allow for the fact that if you lose your job through no fault of your own and are unable to find comparable employment, that it is no longer your "earning potential" and CI should be revised downward.  To do it, DH would have to show that he'd been actively seeking comparable work and had been unable to find anything.

In terms of telling her, would you want to know if you'd been receiving money that you counted on to pay your bills and you weren't going to receive it?  The sooner she knows, the better she can plan for it happening.  I'd much rather be told that UI had run out, so there would be nothing coming so I could plan for that, then find out when payments bounced because I expected the deposit and it didn't come.

MrsJaiClark
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:52 PM

He should tell her and set up a court date to have it postponed or lowered until he found another job.

colema11
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

It would be best for him to go ahead and notify the court.  It looks a lot better for the parent to inform the court first rather than waiting for BM to file for non-payment.  In our state CP can file for non-payment and if the NCP does not have the cash in full the day of court they can get jailtime/ suspended drivers license/ etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN