Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

College Breaks & Keeping Old Bedrooms

Posted by   + Show Post

I am looking for some advice from anyone who has been through this or who has a good idea. 

My DH and I are the custodial parents of my two sons (5 and 7) and his two daughters (8 and 17).  We have three bedrooms for the kids.  My question is "What do you do when the oldest starts college and moves away to the dorm?  Don't you have to reserve her old room for her for those long summer months and the month-long (at least) Christmas break?"  Currently, the girls have their own rooms and my sons share a room.  My husband insists that this summer when our oldest goes away to college, that our 8-year0old will take her old room, and then the boys will get their own room.  

But what about all the college breaks?  DH says that when she comes home on breaks, that she can stay with the then-9-year-old.  I don't think that is so wise.  Our youngest girl is precocious enough already - we don't need her being exposed to "grown-up college things" at such a young age: pics on an iphone, grown-up clothes or personal effects (you get what I mean).  Because honestly, the oldest girl does nothing to keep grown-up things away from her little sister - she just doesn't think to protect her innocence (i.e., she'll watch scandalous MTV shows in front of her, leave her razors and mace out where the little one can get them - and has, etc.) Plus - our 9-year-old will be near hitting puberty and will be doing her best to grow up too fast anyway (something she already tries to do).

So I don't know what to do.  DH says there is no point keeping an empty room open for someone who will barely be home to use it.  I wonder if we need to for rthe first year.  Also, SD will surely be splitting the time between with us and at her mother's house too.

Any ideas? Thanks so much!  I am one concerned stepmama!

by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:47 PM
Replies (11-11):
blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:02 PM
I see both sides of this. Yes, it seems silly to have an empty bedroom sitting there when other kids could be using it. However, it will still be her home and she will likely feel displaced without her bedroom when she is home. My parents kept my bedroom intact until I graduated and moved out on my own a few months after graduation, but my siblings each already had their own rooms. I know I would have felt like crap if my room was gone when I went home summers and holidays. I think the advice to sit everybody down and ask how everybody feels about it is sound.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN