Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Do kids in your world get cars when they graduate?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM
  • 51 Replies

Poll

Question: Do kids in your world get a car when they graduate?

Options:

No

Yes

Depends if they have earned it

Kids can buy own car

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 43

View Results

My 4 kids did not get cars when they graduated from high school. Sometime around their junior year in college they got used cars and their first apartment. We did buy them the cars. It did not coincide with birthdays or holidays but was more need based because they had moved off campus.

The BM in our case, recently told DH that he needed to get a car for SS for  HS graduation. This is ludicrous to me. DH was recently unemployed for two years and we are still catching up with all our bills. We would probably not be approved at this point for a car loan and don't have cash for a car.

SS's half sister was bought a car in college by her maternal uncle. Her dad had been alienated by then.

I think we will be giving SS cash. If he wants to put it towards a car or car insurance then that can be his choice.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I did, but I bought it myself.

sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on May. 8, 2012 at 4:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm floating inbetween, "They can earn it" and "Kids can buy own car".  As immature as my skids are at this point in time (and irresponsible too), I'm not sure fiance' is even going to DARE teach them to drive when they turn 15! lol

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:26 PM
2 moms liked this

DD will be getting a car when she turns 16.  She has too many activities and as she gets older she can utilize her gifted vehicle to get herself from Point A to Point B without me having to stress constantly on how to get her where and when.  I don't know what her graduation gift will be.

angelmommy2806
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Not gonna happen. DH and I both bought our own cars and he's already told the kids they will buy theirs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
YesImMomToo
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM
I did and oldest ss will get my current car which is new now but wont be in 6 years when he graduates.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justahousewife
by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I was lucky to have a big brother who saw if fit to buy me a $500 car when I was 17. I learned a lot with that old beater and have a great appreciation for it even now. 

The car issue is sort of up in the air for me. I certainly don't see it as a "right" but having a cheap beater helped to shape me so I might do the same for my own children. In some form or another. 

GypsyRayne
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:45 PM

My kids got cars when they were 16. I am assuming ss will get one also. They were used cars and they did not get to choose them. They were told if they wanted a car, they would take what we could afford and bought them. There were no problems though, they appreciated them.

momofcg
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this
My step son worked for his. He bought a used truck paid 13 thousand for it used cash and it was his own money he earned.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CoochieLibre
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Sometimes I wish my 17 yo wanted to drive... it would make my life a little easier since I wouldn't have to stop everything to take her where she needs to go. I do plan on getting the kids inexpensive used cars when they're ready. My 17 yo is getting a trip to Paris for graduation. :)

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:10 PM
1 mom liked this
Kids in my world get cars at 16.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN