Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do kids in your world get cars when they graduate?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do kids in your world get a car when they graduate?

Options:

No

Yes

Depends if they have earned it

Kids can buy own car

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 43

View Results

My 4 kids did not get cars when they graduated from high school. Sometime around their junior year in college they got used cars and their first apartment. We did buy them the cars. It did not coincide with birthdays or holidays but was more need based because they had moved off campus.

The BM in our case, recently told DH that he needed to get a car for SS for  HS graduation. This is ludicrous to me. DH was recently unemployed for two years and we are still catching up with all our bills. We would probably not be approved at this point for a car loan and don't have cash for a car.

SS's half sister was bought a car in college by her maternal uncle. Her dad had been alienated by then.

I think we will be giving SS cash. If he wants to put it towards a car or car insurance then that can be his choice.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 4:11 PM
Replies (11-20):
LucyHarper
by on May. 8, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't know anyone in my town who completely just bought their kids a car. Usually they will either get handed down a car or they will save up and buy a junk car during high school, sometimes the parents will help out paying for it. We have a while before we have to worry about that, but we plan on helping the kids where we can, my husband is very good with car repairs so if they bought a cheap one he could help them get it into a good, safe, working condition, but ultimately it will be up to them, we dont have the money to just buy them cars.

chanizen
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:42 PM
Thats my take as well. If dd is doing awesome in school and has ECs or a job and is meeting expectations at home, she will get a car. She also needs to show the required responsibility / ability to respect rules.

Lilangyln, why doesn't dh just say no? Sorry kid, budgets tight. No funds available.

Of course if dh contributed towards cars for your kids, that would probably be held up as unfair (and it would be). Did he?

Quoting GlockMom:

DD will be getting a car when she turns 16.  She has too many activities and as she gets older she can utilize her gifted vehicle to get herself from Point A to Point B without me having to stress constantly on how to get her where and when.  I don't know what her graduation gift will be.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 5:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see anything wrong with a cheap little car to get from point A to point B. I got one when I was 16 and if the parents can afford it then why not? Of course, if parents can't then it shouldn't be required either.

(By the time my little brother was 16 and wanted a car my parents didn't have the money to buy another one ... so he didn't get one. Fair? Probably not but circumstances change and there isn't much they could do about it. When my little sister reaches 16 I'll be surprised if they don't go out and buy her a brand new car off the lot, lol).

newwife1
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Kids in my world get cars for their 16th birthday.

I got a new car at 16, then my parents traded it in when I graduated and got me another new car for graduation.

My friend's kids all got cars for their 16th birthdays.

321momof3
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:07 PM

i have a 12th grader and a 10 grader and they both have car my husband and i bought for them. ots easier that way they have stuff (sports) and all that and it save me from running all over. I also have a 6 yr old that i have to run around so cars for them just makes life easier. Car ins is alot but its worth it for us

BMof2SMof2
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:14 PM
1 mom liked this
Nope, if our kids want cars that badly they are going to have to get jobs to finance the payments and the insurance. Otherwise its walk or take the bus. Money is tight and getting things for free is not an entitlement for anyone.
neverbeamom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM
1 mom liked this

rolling on floor

I got $6 in a card from my mom for graduation.  My dad showed up to my open house- which my ex-fiance's mother planned for me.  No car.

I'm sure SS will get a car once he's in high school- but it won't  be from SO.  BM's parents will probably buy one for him, since they're loaded.

Sunivondea
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM
I grew up slightly less than middle class. Must of of the things we had were previously owned, we weren't on PA, but we never went without. My dad bought all four of us a used, yet reliable, vehicle for less than a grand when we got our drivers licenses.

I was a reckless teenager. My dad has actually bought me several.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SassyMom25
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:01 PM
1 mom liked this
I think it will depend on the kids. If they work hard then we'll probably help them buy a used car. If they expect one for nothing then they will have to save up money for their own. I've never thought giving a new driver a new car was a good idea. I've also never seen a new car get treated decent or that lasted more than a year.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:00 PM

Some do.  Most kids around here have a car before they graduate though.  We live in a rural area and it's a very practical investment for most parents.  The vehicles have quite a range on how nice they are, and most of the time the kids contribute a good bit towards the vehicles, but most of them have one.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured