Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Peaceful Home

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 6:18 AM
  • 12 Replies
Do you ever feel relieved when your Skids are gone? Right now my custodial SDs (of 9 months)are gone to be with their BM for the Mother's Day weekend. I am loving it! It feels peaceful, and I feel more comfortable and relaxed here at home now. I feel more like it's "my" home now. Do you ever feel that way? No judging, please: it's not a big problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 12, 2012 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Quinn525
by on May. 12, 2012 at 6:32 AM
sometimes. I think everyone needs a break, but I like when my two ds are also gone for the same reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chanizen
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 7:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I do... And sometimes I feel happy to have a day to myself with no bios either....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
zannahdeux
by Silver Member on May. 12, 2012 at 7:36 AM
Yes! Of course...then as time goes on I miss them and the chacos
DDDaysh
by on May. 12, 2012 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
I think everyone appreciates some kid free time once in a while.

Quoting chanizen:

I do... And sometimes I feel happy to have a day to myself with no bios either....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chanizen
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:06 AM
Word up!!! Dd (2) got up at 3:00 am and turned on the tv in my bedroom at 7:00 am....

I want 2 more hours of peace....

:). But dang she's cute.

Quoting DDDaysh:

I think everyone appreciates some kid free time once in a while.

Quoting chanizen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on May. 12, 2012 at 8:28 AM

I love child-free weekends, I'm not gonna lie. I loved them back when I was a single mom with just my own two kids who would go to their Dad's EOWE. And I love them now. 

Not sure about the "feels like it's my home now" comment though. That tells me there is something more than just loving the peace and quiet.

looneytunes290
by on May. 13, 2012 at 12:18 AM
YES!! It's been months since my skids were at my house- and I've loved every second of it- dread the day they come back!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jojojack
by Bronze Member on May. 13, 2012 at 12:09 PM

oh yes! dh switched this weekend so skids could be with bm. I was actually dissappointed when I found out we have them for the next 3 wekends ugh..Im going thru alot with my dd right now under alot of stress.. not that he cares. its all about his skids. he says.. "i dont see them enough" but has no clue how hard I have to work when they all are here. Im  figuring out a way of  leaving him alone  next weekend  for the 3 days that they are here and the 5 days he has them memorial day weekend so they can drive him crazy and maybe he will actually appreciate what I do .

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on May. 13, 2012 at 12:27 PM
I have mixed feelings about it. For the past couple weeks I've been counting down the days until the kids go with BM for the summer. I was dreaming about how nice it would be to wake up in the morning a relax with just dh and I, and all the dates we can go on etc. But now that I realized they will be leaving in just two weeks, and be gone for almost two months, I am already starting to miss them. I am so used to them being around that our house will be so quiet and empty without them since we have no kids together. It's bitter sweet, I welcome the break but I know about 3 weeks into the summer I'll be ready for them to come home.
Mommy0505
by on May. 13, 2012 at 10:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Parenting (bio or step) can be a tough job.  To be a good parent means to not lay down and let them walk all over you but also to not be too constrictive and harsh that it breaks their spirit.  Finding the balance (especially when one or more child is stubborn, strong-willed, or gets opposing parenting for lengthy periods of time) can be VERY tough.  It requires more patience, understanding, kindness, forgiveness, maturity, wisdom, ..., then parenting some other kids.

Some kids are just easier to parent then others.  When the tough one(s) are gone it can feel more peaceful.  Been there, done that, and actually felt it just today.  Does that mean I love her less?  No way.  If I loved her less or considered her less than my own Bio then I'd not stick around for the tough stuff.  I'd not worry about molding her into the young woman her father hopes she becomes... I'd not stress myself at all with dealing with her crazy/volitile mother or SD's emotional ups and downs...

Just because a day is more peaceful (a.k.a. without drama and requiring less effort on the mothering front) because stepchild is gone doesn't mean we resent them or wish they weren't here or "anything more"... 

*stepping off my soap box now* lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN