Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

"Sleep with me, sleep with me!"

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM
  • 15 Replies

Hi guys,

SO needs some help.  Little Man (3) is back and forth every few days from BM/SO. Since this has begun, every night he screams bloody murder when he goes to bed. He says he hates his Thomas the Train bed (his favourite character, ever) and screams that he wants somebody to sleep with him, bawling and crying. The words he screams repeatedly have been "sleep with me" and "my mommy would sleep with me". It's really becoming an issue, he does fall asleep pretty quickly as kids do but the kid is clearly upset and Boyfriend doesn't know what to do. He reassures him that it's okay and that he'll see him in the morning but it still is tough on both of them.

It is probable that BM sleeps with him, they likely share a room where they are staying right now but that's not really any of SO's business.. 

Any advice? 

by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Refurbished
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

It's a phase.  They all kind of go through that at some point.  If it's any consolation, he won't be asking for this when he's 15.  They all outgrow it eventually.  Just hang in there. 

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:19 PM

this is pretty typical for the age.

your boyfriend should either sleep wtih him, or firmly tell him no and ignore the requests.

Those are basically the same two options that every parent in the known universe chooses from.

daddysgf
by and that's all on May. 16, 2012 at 8:22 PM

Thanks, we're just learning!
It's never been an issue before here and SO's mom keeps calling it abuse to let him cry after saying no to him. 

Quoting whatIknownow:

your boyfriend should either sleep wtih him, or firmly tell him no and ignore the requests.

Those are basically the same two options that every parent in the known universe chooses from.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Shoot, we just let them co sleep with us at that age. They out grew it

daddysgf
by and that's all on May. 16, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Quoting Polkadotted:

Shoot, we just let them co sleep with us at that age. They out grew it

See he would (I have another post on here about privacy) but I'm just a girlfriend and need a place to sleep too!

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:26 PM

Then don't tell her. Tell her he went right to sleep. He's 3... he won't rat his father out.

Quoting daddysgf:

Thanks, we're just learning!
It's never been an issue before here and SO's mom keeps calling it abuse to let him cry after saying no to him. 

Quoting whatIknownow:

jlg12678
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:53 PM

Be consistent. And calm. Ignore his screaming. If he gets up, calmly tuck him back into bed.

He will get it eventually.

vintagebikegirl
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:35 PM
DD4 and DD5 share a room. DH and just spend about 1/2 hour a night laying down or just sitting on the beds until they fall asleep. We have alway done this With our kids once they were too old to cosleep (about 3). They out grow it. DS5 is ALMOST to the point where we can just tuck him in an walk away.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
workoutmom2b1g
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:39 PM

She totally sleeps with him! 

ekh2010
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:42 PM
We had that issue when visits first started. Poor kid...just be consistent. Let him pick new sheets if you can and sleepy animal. Start a bedtime routine. Sit by the end of the bed after you give hugs and kisses. Ignore all his requests to sleep with. Just sit there til he's asleep. May take a lil while to get the hang of...be patient. Good luck
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN