Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

TV Before Bed (s/o - o/t)

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM
  • 20 Replies

How many of you have kids who watch TV before bed - until they fall asleep?
Step-kids?
Significant other?
Yourself? 

by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM

We all have a TV in our rooms, but the only one allowed to watch TV until he falls asleep is Ethan (DS7 w/ autism) due to his anxiety. 

DD15 and I read before falling asleep. Anyone in the house is welcome to. 

andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 8:55 PM

DS used to watch TV until he fell asleep ... then we discovered it seemed to keep him from sleeping and he was super cranky all day. We took the TV out of his room.

SS's did when there was a TV in their room.

SO watches TV until he falls asleep which forces me to "watch" it (read: count down the minutes until his eyes finally shut so I can get some sleep already!!!").

angelmommy2806
by on May. 16, 2012 at 8:57 PM
We have 1 TV and its in the living room. The only time the skids fall asleep to it is on a weekend. They do usually watch it until bedtime at 9 on week nights.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daddysgf
by and that's all on May. 16, 2012 at 8:58 PM

God, our lives are similar haha.. Boyfriend keeps the tv on, falls asleep and I have to find the remote to turn the friggen thing off

Quoting andie646c:

DS used to watch TV until he fell asleep ... then we discovered it seemed to keep him from sleeping and he was super cranky all day. We took the TV out of his room.

SS's did when there was a TV in their room.

SO watches TV until he falls asleep which forces me to "watch" it (read: count down the minutes until his eyes finally shut so I can get some sleep already!!!").

DDDaysh
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:14 PM
Never ever!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rwblake2011
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:20 PM
Dd & ds's fall asleep to tv. Dsd gets little bit tv time before bed but otherwise its off because her counselor told us it winds her up and interrupts her sleep pattern. Makes a less whiney dsd. Dh and I watch tv till we are ready to sleep and then its off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySabs
by Gold Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:54 PM
All of us ( yes I am hanging my head in shame). Oddly the kids rarely watch tv during the day, dd might watch a couple episodes of super why before nap time but other than that most of the time it's only at bed time. I can't do anything without some sort of background noise and apparently my kids have inherited that. My ds's and dd go to bed with a one hour sleep timer, dss he keeps his tv on all night.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
vintagebikegirl
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:01 PM
SD12, No
DD4 and DS5 (share a room), No
DD12 and DD9 (share a room) Yes, with the volume all the way down. DD9 has some anxiety and it helps her sleep, more like a nightlight.
DH, No
ME, Yes. I work overnights and sleep at work. I feel safer, less alone with the tv on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy0505
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:28 PM

DS cannot fall asleep with a tv on in the room.  He's been this way since at least 3 yrs old (he's been doing sleepovers since that age).

His BF would put it on (family guy & adult swim) and he'd wonder why he wouldn't fall asleep. Even when we have friends over here or do a family movie night... he will stay up for however long the tv is on for.  Not exaggerating!  Don't know what it is, but he is just incapable of sleep with the visual stimulus! lol

Mommy0505
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM

We have radios on all night, though.  DS is a light sleeper and with an old house that echos, the icemaker dropping ice has him jumping into our bed so he keeps one playing (to drown out other noises) next to his bed.

I'll admit that I need the background noise, though, too! If I hear strange things during the night my mind plays tricks on me so the radio helps drown them out & other noises I just attribute to it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)