Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Aggravated Stepmom (He calls me Mom)

Posted by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM
  • 33 Replies

I have been married for 1 year and 9 months. My stepson lives with us.  I put him on restriction for not telling the truth and talking to me disrespectfully.  He was on restriction for 3 days.  My husband says the punishment is too harsh. He was not allowed to watch TV or go outside. In addition to lies and being disrespectful he has several recent failing grades that my husband excuses because it is the end of the year. My husbands makes excuses for him disrepecting me.  Always tell me I need to apologize when I say something wrong to my stepson but does not make him apologize for disrespecting me.  I do everything for this child. Take him to the doctor, pick up his prescriptions, pick him up from school, found him a tutor, bought him a saxophone, etc.  What would you do in  this situation? His Dad feels he should do all the disciplining but I am like if I can't discipline him then y ou do all the other stuff for him too.  Please let me know what you think. His real Mom left him and my husband when he was 3 years old. 

by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:45 PM

What does any of this have to do with him calling you mom?

Restrictions? As in, grounded? Or restrictions as in no food? (For some reason if I hear the word "restriction" I think no food, lol).

Are you just venting or asking for advice?

Tonnie68
by on May. 16, 2012 at 9:55 PM

Just mentioning that he calls me Mom to establish the type of relationship we have. I am seeking advice. I love him but am feeling really resentful toward my husband and stepson right now.  I feel he is a spoiled and think his punishment/restriction what ever you want to call it is fair for what he did.

E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 9:57 PM

Have you ever thought that maybe he wants his dad to do some stuff  for/with him. You say you do it all.... STOP!

Why do you continue to do everything? 

E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:00 PM
1 mom liked this

If you had that type of relationship your DH would not be treating you like the nanny. 

IMO

Quoting Tonnie68:

Just mentioning that he calls me Mom to establish the type of relationship we have. I am seeking advice. I love him but am feeling really resentful toward my husband and stepson right now.  I feel he is a spoiled and think his punishment/restriction what ever you want to call it is fair for what he did.

Tonnie68
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM

His Dad works long hours and is not avialable to do these thing for him most of the time. I even track his grades on the parent portal. Call the school and meet witht he teachers etc. I am basically his Mom. His real mother does nothing and does not even call him.

Tonnie68
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:15 PM

How rude.  I guess I made a mistake joining this site.  People on here don't seem to have any tact at all. 

daddysgf
by and that's all on May. 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM
How old is he
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrKennys_Mom
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:19 PM
Welcome to cm

Quoting Tonnie68:

How rude.  I guess I made a mistake joining this site.  People on here don't seem to have any tact at all. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tonnie68
by on May. 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM

E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on May. 16, 2012 at 10:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I have been the "real mom" (CSM) for years. BM does nothing. However, I would not put up with being treated with such disrespect. The only person that can fix it is you.

You can't change them, but you can change what you do.

So, if you want to continue to do everything and get nothing back...then that is the choice that you are making for yourself. 

Quoting Tonnie68:

His Dad works long hours and is not avialable to do these thing for him most of the time. I even track his grades on the parent portal. Call the school and meet witht he teachers etc. I am basically his Mom. His real mother does nothing and does not even call him.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured