Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Sometimes it just takes a little common sense...........vent

Posted by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM
  • 10 Replies

OSS has ADHD and has been on medicaction for almost 2 years.  A couple of days ago the owner of our local store saw DH and asked him to speak to BM about buying the kids energy drinks, DH was not aware and had asked BM not to give energy drinks several times last year.  DH sent BM a text again asking nicely that she not buy energy drinks. BM ignored DH.

DH asked the attorney about it since it can cause serious medical issues combined with OSS meds.  Attorney requested a physican letter stating "No energy drinks/ high caffeine/sugar products".  So DH spent half the day on the phone with the doctor, who of course threw a fit about OSS drinking the energy drinks and told DH that if BM gave OSS another to let him know and he would have a chat with BM.

my only response was: Seriously! WTF BM.  Why does stupid crap like this have to become an issue?  It doesn't take common sense to realize that kids don't need energy drinks, they want them, but a parent just says nope, here's some water!

by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:37 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VerdeMom
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow, sounds like BM is off her rocker! Shouldn't SS's health be the primary issue? At least your DH and SS's DR are actively pursuing a healthy resolution to this issue, but you're right: sounds like she has NO common sense. Good luck ;)

newstepmom61811
by on May. 17, 2012 at 5:45 PM
1 mom liked this

Because for some, it's not about being the parent that does the right thing, it's about being the parent that is liked more...

ashes_leigh
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:02 PM

This sounds similiar to what is going on between me and BM. we have implimented at least an hour a night to play with the boys, or watch a movie, or do something they want to do. Since the boys have been going to their moms and telling them some of the things we do when their here, she has been actually trying to cook but we dont allow them but one soda/pop per day that they are here. She buys them soda and candy and things we dont normally allow them to eat while they are here. The two youngest are ADHD. Well I know for experience that diet takes a big part in to helping them cope with it. So after showing concerns for their health, she still neglected the food part but takes them walking every day after she gets home from work. I am so upset with her with making the 8 year old think he needs to loose weight. But I have been able to take them off of their meds as well as myself with just changing our diets. You are more than welcome to message me if you would like more tips to help with ADD/ADHD

Ms.Gwen
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:04 PM
Wow! Do we have the same BM?! SS5, same exact sitch. He comes home from every visit with a new injury from bouncing off the walls and she still doesn't get it. Doc doesn't want to prescribe meds until BM stops it and the Doc can re- run the tests after he has been off the sauce(energy drinks) for aeast a few weeks. Ugh!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rebeccasmly
by on May. 17, 2012 at 6:07 PM
Unfortunately this is true. Instead of doing the right thing for the kids, they want to be the cool parent. :(

Quoting newstepmom61811:

Because for some, it's not about being the parent that does the right thing, it's about being the parent that is liked more...

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ma23
by on May. 18, 2012 at 3:12 AM

While I watch my son's diet because he also has ADHD and weight issues, I can tell you that products containing caffeine can often have the opposite affect on people with ADHD than it does on us. What do you think the medications are? They are stimulants. I know because I take the same medication as my son but for a very different reason.

My son has ADHD and I have narcolepsy. So the same medicine that keeps me alert, awake and focused, causes my son to be able to relax and calm down.

Coffee, chocolate...both of them had the opposite effect on him as it would on someone without ADHD. Although I do limit his intake of chocolate and he almost never gets coffee type drinks (he loves the coffee flavored blended drinks so we get it made with decaf), if he does happen to run out of his medicine before I can get it refilled, a half cup of coffee does the same thing.

neverbeamom
by on May. 18, 2012 at 4:10 AM

It depends who you are.  Caffeine is different than the stimulant in medication.  I have zero experience myself but I know a good friend has been taking Adderall since it became available.  If she has a lot of caffeine while taking Adderall, it gives her insomnia among other things.

I think the OP is saying that BM is giving her kid energy drink while he's taking medication for ADHD.  I don't think the two would mix well.

Quoting ma23:

While I watch my son's diet because he also has ADHD and weight issues, I can tell you that products containing caffeine can often have the opposite affect on people with ADHD than it does on us. What do you think the medications are? They are stimulants. I know because I take the same medication as my son but for a very different reason.

My son has ADHD and I have narcolepsy. So the same medicine that keeps me alert, awake and focused, causes my son to be able to relax and calm down.

Coffee, chocolate...both of them had the opposite effect on him as it would on someone without ADHD. Although I do limit his intake of chocolate and he almost never gets coffee type drinks (he loves the coffee flavored blended drinks so we get it made with decaf), if he does happen to run out of his medicine before I can get it refilled, a half cup of coffee does the same thing.

Ms.Gwen
by on May. 18, 2012 at 7:32 AM
I agree with this. I think BM is self medicating SS with the mountaindew and redbull. Sugar however still screws him up royally. She gives him tons of that so I think she gives him the caffiene to level him back out. When we get SS back from a weekend with BM he is a complete mess. He is exhausted but can't sleep which makes him cranky. It takes about 3 days to level him back out.

Quoting ma23:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
colema11
by Bronze Member on May. 18, 2012 at 8:10 AM

Caffeine in moderate consideration can have a calming effect on non-medicated kids mentally, but the recommendation is no more than 100mg per day for any child.  Mixing meds with too much caffeine can cause heart and respiratory problems, if not death from caffeine toxicity.  OSS's favorite energy drink has 160mg caffeine per can, throw in that BM also allows soda, and OSS could be easily having more than 200mg in a day and that is if he only has one energy drink, he admitted that he had a Monster and Redbull last Sat and a full Monster and 1/2 of YSS Monster this Sat. 

Not to mention that OSS has weight gain issues (13yrs old/85lbs, was 75lbs when DH got custody) and we have had to follow a strict diet plan for those 10lbs over the past year and have to go for monthly weight checks until he is out of the seriously underweight range. So it's really nice that he is sucking down appetite suppressants 2-3 times per month. 

Quoting ma23:

chanizen
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 2:08 PM
Those energy drinks and sugar.... The gifts that keep on giving...
Migraines.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN