Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

I will keep this short and sweet! My stepson is in the hospital with some what of a stomach flu...but we came to find out that mom who is a nurse has been giving my dh kids HER prescription pills to comfort them...Am I the only one who is completely upset about this? She is playing god with drugs and giving them to my step children. Thoughts please? What to do?

Ashley

by on May. 23, 2012 at 9:06 PM
Replies (51-60):
mestiza_07
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:11 PM

Quoting Vaughna15:

Quoting mestiza_07:

Here's the thing...it may not be a big deal bc it was zofran but still it was a prescription drug. Even as a nurse I run everything with my pedi or ask drs I work with before I give anything and even then sometimes I check with our pharmacist. If you and your dh are uneasy with it...talk with someone and since he is in the hospital talk to a social worker that works there for guidance they are good resources. She may be their mother but your dh also should have his say so its his right as a parent...

Quoting Vaughna15:

Good points but we still dont know what is wrong with him???

Here is my question for you...what if in their parenting plan she has conrtol of all medical, because she does...that still doesnt give her the right to be giving these pills right?

No it doesn't. She is a parent, no longer practicing as a nurse, she doesnt have the eduacation to prescribe medications. This is not in her scope of practice even if she was a nurse.

dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM
I'm not sure what that one does.... Was it to help calm his stomach from the flu? Still bs cuz there's child doses of all meds!!

Quoting Vaughna15:

Quoting dawnnamarie:

What kind of pills are they?!? Not that it makes a difference. That's super dangerous!! I don't care if she's a nurse and thinks she knows what is going on or not

Quoting Vaughna15:

I will keep this short and sweet! My stepson is in the hospital with some what of a stomach flu...but we came to find out that mom who is a nurse has been giving my dh kids HER prescription pills to comfort them...Am I the only one who is completely upset about this? She is playing god with drugs and giving them to my step children. Thoughts please? What to do?

Ashley

She gave him Zofran. She got it for her for her morning sickness

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vaughna15
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:12 PM

mestiza thats exactly what had happened. The dr told my DH that BM was barking orders and telling them what tests to run. So basically she told him dont feed him because he will throw up. Well he didnt. So my DH pulled the dr and BM aside and said that the Dr was not allowed to take orders from a "use to be nurse" and that as a dr he needed to run all the tests and get to the bottom of this...

andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Quoting mestiza_07:

Quoting andie646c:

Quoting Vaughna15:

Quoting mestiza_07:

Here's the thing...it may not be a big deal bc it was zofran but still it was a prescription drug. Even as a nurse I run everything with my pedi or ask drs I work with before I give anything and even then sometimes I check with our pharmacist. If you and your dh are uneasy with it...talk with someone and since he is in the hospital talk to a social worker that works there for guidance they are good resources. She may be their mother but your dh also should have his say so its his right as a parent...

Quoting Vaughna15:

Good points but we still dont know what is wrong with him???

Here is my question for you...what if in their parenting plan she has conrtol of all medical, because she does...that still doesnt give her the right to be giving these pills right?

She is in charge of ALL medical decisions? And your husband showed up at the hospital and ordered the child food? That sounds like HIM making a medical decision ... the choice to feed or not feed a sick child in the hospital is a medical decision after all (one that you say she had already decided on). I'm thinking if she wants to pursue it, she might have a contempt charge against your DH for that choice.

Its only a medical decision if the dr ordered no food. which it sounds like the mom was the one withholding food from the child.

Whether the doctor ordered no food or not, mom CHOSE no food as a medical decision of her own (I highly doubt she is trying to starve the child to death in a hospital). The DH in this situation went in and undid her medical decision by giving the child food. Doctors aren't the only people that can make medical decisions.

When DS is sick I choose to withhold food as well, in favor of clear liquids to help him stay hydrated. This IS a medical decision whether the doctor orders it or not.

My doctor orders Pitocin to be used during labor, I refuse the Pitocin, that is a medical decision even though it's not what the doctor ordered. This isn't really different.

Vaughna15
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM

Zofran is an anti-nausea medication...usually prescribed for cancer patients

nowynd
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

I would report it to the child's doctor, if it hasn't already been done.  Then ask what they (doctor) will be doing about it.  It is illegal.  I would assume since they are mandated reporters, they will have notified child services.

I suppose you could call children's services yourself as an annonymous report.  But be ready to deal with dh finding out.  I don't like secrets, so I would push the physicians.

Outside of that...you really have nothing else you can do...ahhhh, being a "step" mom!!

Vaughna15
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:17 PM

Andie then you need to meet BM....if anything ever went down I would have her evaluated for munchausen syndrome! When they are on her time I swear they are always sick! Its no lie.

mestiza_07
by Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Quoting Vaughna15:

mestiza thats exactly what had happened. The dr told my DH that BM was barking orders and telling them what tests to run. So basically she told him dont feed him because he will throw up. Well he didnt. So my DH pulled the dr and BM aside and said that the Dr was not allowed to take orders from a "use to be nurse" and that as a dr he needed to run all the tests and get to the bottom of this...

Unfortunately we see this all the time...nurses make the worst patients ad visitors of patients becuase "we" think we know everything. Regardless of WHO has medical Power of this child, you and your husband need to do what you feel is right for your ss. BM may have good intentions bc of her nursing background but she isnt the Dr. Your DH is also this child parent and his concerns needs to addressed too

andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 23, 2012 at 10:19 PM
1 mom liked this

He pulled BM and the DOCTOR aside to tell the doctor to stop listening to BM and run tests? 

Telling the doctor not to listen to the parent with medical rights and to run tests can't possibly fall under anything other than medical. I'm guessing BM either agreed to the tests or the doctor isn't aware of the CO giving BM the rights to medical? 

Quoting Vaughna15:

Vaughna15
by on May. 23, 2012 at 10:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I have nothing against the medical field, Nurses or Doctors, but her response to everything is "im a nurse" Ok we get it you use to be a nurse...but being a good nurse doesnt necesseraly make you a good mother!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN