Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Everything was fine. We have joint custory. We got them on weekends during the school year and every other week during the summer. And now she wants to go back to court for child support. She claims we arent getting them enough. OMG i dont wanna pay her 125 a week! I could lose my house. How are we suppose to pay an extra 500 a month??

by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Replies (51-54):
vintagebikegirl
by on May. 26, 2012 at 1:33 AM
The difference of cost of living between states just blows my mind!
An average 2 bed apt here is about $600 a month give or take depending on the neighborhood.
We pay $1000 a month for a 100 year old 6 bedroom house in one of the top 10 best neighborhoods in the country. That doesn't mean its really a rich neighborhood, but its so cool that everyone wants to live there, lol. Its probably one of the most expensive places to rent in the city. We got a good deal on our house, but $1400 is the most he has ever rented the house out for in the past.
Quoting andie646c:

When calculating with FL's income guidelines and such I'd end up with more CS (they look at both incomes ... mine would be counted as whatever I made at the last job I was working at). Ex makes about twice as much as I did while I was working.

Of course, for being a state that only counts NCP's income when doing the calculations, TX seems a bit generous. From what I've seen on guidelines in other states that do a flat percentage like ours ex would pay A LOT less CS in the other states. Of course ... this is TX, I'd have to think our cost of living is a little higher than some other places (a 2br apartment where I live right now is running close to $1000 a month ... and that's just a normal, run of the mill, nothing special apartment)

Quoting DDDaysh:

OMG, I'm in TX too!  I can't figure out why I have to compile all that info every freakin' time I talk to them when they don't even look at it!  It's annoying. 

On the other hand, TX is often cheaper for NCP's than income split states.  It just depends, but I've crunched the numbers in a few different income ranges and most of the time NCP's in TX don't get a bad deal as long as they're making about the same or more than the CP.  They only end up paying signficantly more than the dual income calculator states if the CP is the higher wage earner by a good margin. 

Quoting andie646c:

Lol, TX is the same way. They didn't care not one teensy bit how much I was making when ex and I went for CS. I was told to bring my check stubs too but they didn't look at them ... only ex's.

I think there's a lot of states like that though, aren't there?

I know FL looks at both BP's income but didn't know there were many others that did that.

Quoting pepper504:

Note to self:  Thanks to Andie, uncovered what State to NOT live in. 

Quoting andie646c:

Your state doesn't seem to care about her income at all, SAHM or working making $50,000 a year, they don't factor in her income, they only look at your DH's (from what I saw on their CS website).

Quoting calliesmom19:

So in the agreedment his ex-wifes new husbands income wont be factored! Shes a sham and when he married her he agreed to take on her responsiblities. Besides my money definetly has went towards her kids.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
beaularson91
by Janice on May. 26, 2012 at 5:20 PM

if he gets them over night at least two nights out each week then thats 50/50 and she cant get any cs....well thats what it is in our case idk where you live and what their laws are

court_1989
by on May. 27, 2012 at 1:19 AM
Quoting love_my_angels:

That sucks, I'm sorry
Angelknot8
by on May. 27, 2012 at 2:00 AM

I'm also a little shocked he hasn't been having to pay cs. Usually whoever has less time has to pay. Less time meaning its not 50/50 exact. They usually go by a percentage of his and her income and base when the support will be from there. You can probly find an support calculator for your state online. This might help give you an idea of what your dh will have to pay.  https://courts.arkansas.gov/aoc/acs_guidelines.cfm

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)