Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Everything was fine. We have joint custory. We got them on weekends during the school year and every other week during the summer. And now she wants to go back to court for child support. She claims we arent getting them enough. OMG i dont wanna pay her 125 a week! I could lose my house. How are we suppose to pay an extra 500 a month??

by on May. 24, 2012 at 5:03 PM
Replies (21-30):
calliesmom19
by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:26 PM

So in the agreedment his ex-wifes new husbands income wont be factored! Shes a sham and when he married her he agreed to take on her responsiblities. Besides my money definetly has went towards her kids.

pepper504
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 6:31 PM

No, I was pointing out how my DH's exwife thinks that the CS ($411) he pays for his two kids is more than enough, yet what DH pays CS ($740) for his one child is not enough.  Just pointing out her hypocricy. Sorry lol.

Yes, the true cost of raising a child is high.  DD15 is now a sophomore in an all girl's Catholic high school.  She's a cheerleader and plays travel softball.  It's not getting any cheaper.  So glad that her dad and I split everything 50/50.  It is also another one of the many reasons why I only have ONE child lol.

Quoting chanizen:

Oh I wasn't saying gender mattered. I can explain it to her sure. I'm on mobile so i cant find it for you.. but we did this thoroughly a few months back. You can forward it to her.

Or use an income calculator for your area. The true cost of raising kids is high.

Quoting pepper504:

Someone should explain that to DH's exwife.  She apparently feels that the $411 a month that her current DH pays his exwife for two kids is too much.  DH pays $740 a month for SS13.  She still wants more money as it is not enough.  How does that make sense?  I have no clue, but then again, if it did, then I'd be insane in the membrane. 

Quoting chanizen:

500 a month is not a lot for two kids. It just isn't.

Now cs might include some of the things you currently pay half of.

Bottom line, he shouldn't have had kids he wasn't willing to support. So he should be contributing based on his income. Was he a stay at home dad? If not, presumably he had an income when those kids were conceived. Don't conceive kids you cannot afford.... Lesson to dh.

I'm sorry for your discomfort. But he really should be bearing financial responsibility.

pepper504
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Quoting calliesmom19:

So in the agreedment his ex-wifes new husbands income wont be factored! Shes a sham and when he married her he agreed to take on her responsiblities. Besides my money definetly has went towards her kids.

Depends on what your state laws say about it.

If BM is a SAHM, then his income would be factored into it.  In your case, your income should not be, but again, depends on your state laws.

Here, my income would not be factored into DH's CS unless he were 1) unemployed; or, 2) underemployed.  DH is neither.  Therefore my income is not factored into it.  Not to mention, I had a separate property agreement done so, BM cannot touch my income. 

andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 6:36 PM

Your state doesn't seem to care about her income at all, SAHM or working making $50,000 a year, they don't factor in her income, they only look at your DH's (from what I saw on their CS website).

Quoting calliesmom19:

- Andie -   

CafeMom Tickers

chanizen
by Platinum Member on May. 24, 2012 at 6:37 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm in agreement with the concept of not having kids you can't afford. If we had one more it would be really tight. Not impossible. But tight. So we are good. Now if it were a financial impossibility, we would take additional measures. Vasectomy plus my bc.

There really isn't a reason to not take full ownership of your reproduction if you cannot afford a child.

That was the major consideration before we had our 2 year old.

And I'm a geek. Excel and I were friends for a while while I crunched those numbers.

Quoting pepper504:

No, I was pointing out how my DH's exwife thinks that the CS ($411) he pays for his two kids is more than enough, yet what DH pays CS ($740) for his one child is not enough.  Just pointing out her hypocricy. Sorry lol.

Yes, the true cost of raising a child is high.  DD15 is now a sophomore in an all girl's Catholic high school.  She's a cheerleader and plays travel softball.  It's not getting any cheaper.  So glad that her dad and I split everything 50/50.  It is also another one of the many reasons why I only have ONE child lol.

Quoting chanizen:

Oh I wasn't saying gender mattered. I can explain it to her sure. I'm on mobile so i cant find it for you.. but we did this thoroughly a few months back. You can forward it to her.

Or use an income calculator for your area. The true cost of raising kids is high.

Quoting pepper504:

Someone should explain that to DH's exwife.  She apparently feels that the $411 a month that her current DH pays his exwife for two kids is too much.  DH pays $740 a month for SS13.  She still wants more money as it is not enough.  How does that make sense?  I have no clue, but then again, if it did, then I'd be insane in the membrane. 

Quoting chanizen:

500 a month is not a lot for two kids. It just isn't.

Now cs might include some of the things you currently pay half of.

Bottom line, he shouldn't have had kids he wasn't willing to support. So he should be contributing based on his income. Was he a stay at home dad? If not, presumably he had an income when those kids were conceived. Don't conceive kids you cannot afford.... Lesson to dh.

I'm sorry for your discomfort. But he really should be bearing financial responsibility.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pepper504
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 6:43 PM
2 moms liked this

Note to self:  Thanks to Andie, uncovered what State to NOT live in. 

Quoting andie646c:

Your state doesn't seem to care about her income at all, SAHM or working making $50,000 a year, they don't factor in her income, they only look at your DH's (from what I saw on their CS website).

Quoting calliesmom19:

liltigersmom
by on May. 24, 2012 at 6:44 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 24, 2012 at 6:51 PM

Lol, TX is the same way. They didn't care not one teensy bit how much I was making when ex and I went for CS. I was told to bring my check stubs too but they didn't look at them ... only ex's.

I think there's a lot of states like that though, aren't there?

I know FL looks at both BP's income but didn't know there were many others that did that.

Quoting pepper504:

Note to self:  Thanks to Andie, uncovered what State to NOT live in. 

Quoting andie646c:

Quoting calliesmom19:

- Andie -   

CafeMom Tickers

love_my_angels
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 8:55 PM
1 mom liked this
I'll pray for u I totally feel your pain my husband is disabled and we have 2 special need children but my ss grandparents who have custody is comming after dh for child support he's on a fixed income and my ss grandparents are rich and when I say rich I mean I seen pics a bm with bill Clinton and they own a business traing dogs for the disabled military so yeah my husband and I are low income I mean low and like I said both my kids with my husband is special needs and require a lot financially where my ss grandparents hit us is the work related child care cause money is no object to them they set there own prices where they know dh can't afford we just don't pay it there's no way in our budget we could afford there privet expensive child care it's a non willfull non payment he's so backed up but we literally can't afford it and I'm sorry providing for my kids the necessitys is more important then ss getting another carnavil toy it's just messed up
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pseudomamma
by Bronze Member on May. 24, 2012 at 9:14 PM

In Indiana, they would consider her income at minimum wage for purposes of figuring CS.  And they do not use the SP income.  However, I cannot see them forcing someone who makes say $300/wk to pay $125 in support.  If you are paying expenses, which I though I saw you were, that should also come into the equation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)