Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Why do we need to learn another language we live in America..vent

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM
  • 26 Replies
Ss is failing out of high school....all bm said about this was " why why do you need to learn another language anyway, we live in America" then says...we'll don't worry I would never say that in front of him...but her 11 year old was standing right there....these poor kids are just doomed to be shoe sales people just like her...I am so sad....
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on May. 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I don't get how failing school and learning another language fit?  Is he failing because he's failing a language class?

pepper504
by Gold Member on May. 25, 2012 at 6:31 PM

My mom's side is from Nova Scotia, Canada.  They were kicked out of there and migrated to Louisiana.  My grandmother was in school and they forbidden the children from speaking cajun french in school and if the children were caught speaking their native language, then they were punished.  Sadly, Cajun French is a dying language.  Lucky for me, I got to learn and speak it.

In saying that, being bilingual and knowing your ancestor's native tongue is awesome.  But, I do think that those who come to this country to live should know the language of that country.

zannahdeux
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 6:32 PM
Quoting sandeeyo:

I don't get how failing school and learning another language fit?  Is he failing because he's failing a language class?

Yes as we'll as math and English and very other class besides gym and computer science
zannahdeux
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM
Quoting pepper504:

My mom's side is from Nova Scotia, Canada.  They were kicked out of there and migrated to Louisiana.  My grandmother was in school and they forbidden the children from speaking cajun french in school and if the children were caught speaking their native language, then they were punished.  Sadly, Cajun French is a dying language.  Lucky for me, I got to learn and speak it.

In saying that, being bilingual and knowing your ancestor's native tongue is awesome.  But, I do think that those who come to this country to live should know the language of that country.

I totally agree. I am first generation. My mom is from Italy so we grew up with other languages. She is also a Spanish hs teacher and has been here very week for the last six months helping with my lo...he has never let her help him with Spanish. Never mind that every company I have ever worked for has been global so speaking other langurs was nessary...it's just so small minded and short sighted...not to mention he choose this class and will not graduate because he won't have enough credits if he doesn't pass....
CoochieLibre
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:37 PM

Sadly, this is the thinking of many people living in America. Children who are bilingual or multilingual excel in every other area, academically. I do think it makes sense to learn the native tongue of the country you are living in... but I don't think you should forget your roots or refuse to learn other languages/cultures. America is a melting pot...

~*~ "To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art" ~*~

lilangilyn
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:38 PM

Take a deep breath. Several times my SS has almost flunked and then pulled himself back up. Yours could do it, too. Mine is graduating and there was a time when I thought I would never see it coming. It will happen for you, too.

LilacGirl1980
by on May. 25, 2012 at 6:42 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow...she is a go getter, ain't. She?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:25 PM

My senior class was hopeless in Spanish, so our final semester test was open book. To this day, I cannot speak a sentence.

I don't think that they are destined to sell shoes by failing one class. I was bad in a couple classes. I don't sell shoes.

FloridaMomma
by on May. 25, 2012 at 8:34 PM

I took umpteen semesters of French and German.  And, they were useless.  I remember very little of them, and I don't feel like they particularly enriched me.  I should have taken Spanish I guess.  And, P.S. I don't sell shoes for a living.

andie646c
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 8:35 PM

He is failing ALL of his classes and this is the only one she is concerned about?!?!

How odd ...

I wasn't great in Spanish class, in fact most of the hispanic kids that SPOKE SPANISH weren't great in Spanish class ... apparently there is more to that class than just learning to speak it ;) You must learn proper grammar of it (basics anyway), writing, male/female associations, La, El, culture, etc. Learning these things not only broadens your cultural understanding it also helps you to learn the origins of the words in your own language.

Not that any of that matters ... she should have still had some concern for him failing at least one other class, is English class not important either? Oh well, not really anything that can be done about it I guess ... hope the kiddo can bounce back from this and do well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)